Here Are the Top Festival Style Trends for 2017
Coachella, Bonnaroo, Glastonbury. We could go on listing the hot ticket music festivals that deserve to be on every style influencer’s radar (but honestly, who’s got the time for that?). And besides, it’s the headlining festival style that’s really got our undivided attention. Ahead, we’re spotlighting 15 fashion trends we predict will be MAJOR in the months and weeks to come. Run, don’t walk to stake claim on some of the season’s biggest statement makers (feminist-embroidered jeans, paint splattering, and playful poms, anyone?) that we have a hunch won’t be fading away anytime soon.
1. Knitted Bandeau Bikini Tops: Show your stripes with this bandeau bikini top that’s begging to be teamed alongside a fringe maxi skirt or high-waisted shorts — give or take a tie-dye kimono and a patterned straw fedora. Brit + Co Pick: Scotch & Soda Knitted Bandeau Bikini Top ($59)
2. Embroidered Patches: How about some swag for your denim jackets, boyfriend jeans, baseball caps, you name it? This set of wild, wild west-inspired embroidered patches (cactus FTW!) can be used to personalize all your concert-ready threads without spending a fortune. Brit + Co Pick: Madewell Embroidered Sticker Patch Set ($15)
3. Mirrored Sunnies: Because what would festival season be without some fly shades (and maybe a killer suede fringe vest)? These pink mirrored aviators are ready to rage on from dawn to dusk. Brit + Co Pick: Quay The Plays Sunglasses ($60)
4. Frayed Sweaters: Not to completely overshadow fringe-tastic ponchos or anything (we still love you), but chunky frayed sweaters are where it’s at this season. A little south-of-the-border flair is exactly what the doctor ordered for a DGAF ‘tude during the daytime and unparalleled warmth come nightfall. Throw in a small suede sac and cowgirl boots, and you’ll be in business. Brit + Co Pick: Wildfox No Problemo Chase Sweater ($188)
5. Western Belts: Frayed hem black skinny jeans? Check. Oversized t-shirt? Check. A Western-style belt buckle that pulls it all together? Triple check. For a look that’s less rodeo, more bohemian goddess, just add some pointed-toe Chelsea boots. Brit + Co Pick: ASOS Leather Western Tip Waist and Hip Belt ($25)
6. Festival Floral: Imagine rocking this festive floral print buckle bag with an eyelet romper, woven huaraches, and some flash tats. Brit + Co Pick: & Other Stories Floral Buckle Mini Bag ($145)
7. Matching Sets:There’s something to be said about a one-and-done matching set that looks like you put in the effort (even if it only took a whopping two seconds to style). Exhibit A: This bombshell combo consisting of a gingham cropped halter top and high-rise pants is as sophisticated as it gets. Brit + Co Pick: Reformation Claudia Two Piece ($218)
8. Fishnet Tights: A much-needed alternative edge? Right this way. Team these fishnet tights alongside denim cutoffs (or high-waisted mom jeans) and a cropped hoodie for a festival-going look inspired by your favorite bad girl, RiRi. Brit + Co Pick: Forever 21 Kikiriki Fishnet Leggings ($18)
9. Pom-Poms: These ultra-femme peony pink sandals are picking up right where last summer’s eccentric lace-up tassel and pom-strewn sandals left off. AKA, hurry to snatch up a pair of these bad boys for limitless sartorial prowess. Brit + Co Pick: J.Crew Suede Caged Gladiator Sandals With Pom-Poms ($198)
10. Windbreakers: As far as festival-going toppers go, off-duty windbreakers are the piece de resistance you *know* all the Coachella babes will be flocking to this spring/summer. This metallic rose gold jacket not only brings the traffic-stopping potential, but it’ll allow you to dance the day away, rain or shine. Brit + Co Pick: Topshop Metallic Hooded Windbreaker Jacket ($95)
11. Celestial-Inspired Jewelry: We get it. There are only enough chokers and suede bolo necklaces to be had before you’re all “been there, done that.” But wait just a second. We’ve uncovered the celestial-inspired choker that will have you seeing stars. Pair alongside a neck-plunging jumpsuit or a deep-V lace bodysuit for a getup that slays. Brit + Co Pick: BaubleBar Starlight Choker ($36)
12. Ringer Tees: Take a trip back to the ‘70s with this retro ringer tee emblazoned with the slogan “make love not war.” Proceed to reach for your beloved flea market flares and throwback clogs for a hippie-dippie look with RN appeal. Brit + Co Pick: Camp Collection Make Love Not War Ringer Tee ($56)
13. Tassels: Oh. Em. GEE! Kate Spade’s definitely onto something with these tassel-happy Arabian Nights-inspired shorts that are a hero piece in their own right. We dare you to disagree. Brit + Co Pick: Kate Spade Embroidered Camel Short ($228)
14. Overalls + Logos: Nothing says self-proclaimed ‘90s-babe-in-training like a pair of slouchy denim dungarees featuring an iconic Tommy Jeans logo patch. Throw in a bandeau top, a mini leather backpack, and white tennies for instant swagger. Brit + Co Pick: Tommy Jeans for UO ’90s Dungaree Overall ($179)
15. Tie Dye: Going hand in hand with the flowers in your hair, this tie-dye denim trucker jacket exudes girl power and world domination. The pastel wash and borrowed-from-the-boys fit will serve as a testament to your anything-goes street style. Let the peace, love, and good vibes follow. Brit + Co Pick: Free People Tie Dye Denim Trucker ($148)
Which of these festival season trends will you be test-driving? Follow us on Pinterest for more upcoming style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)