While we were once enamored with apps that would plot nearby restaurants on a map for us, food lovers have begged for more, and oh, has the app world delivered. Now, dozens of apps help you find your next meal and a slew of them arrange to have that food brought straight to you. Talk about comfort food ;) Turn your attention to discovering brand new (or at least new-to-you) establishments. Whether dining in or getting it delivered, these apps have you covered.
1. Postmates: If you happen to be a big city dweller, Postmates can arrange to have any of your favorite food delivered to your door. The delivery service will bring you just about anything (even groceries!) in under an hour. (Free on iOS)
2. Foursquare: Four million users can’t be wrong. This app has guided endless people to discover new restaurants whether in their own neighborhood or on an exotic vacation. The latest upgrade means you can be more specific about exactly what you’re looking for — lobster rolls in a date-friendly environment that allows dogs? It’ll find it. Specific tips for best dishes and hidden gems in each place will soon make you say, Yelp who? (Free on iOS and Android)
4. Chefs Feed: While everyone else is using Yelp to discover the best dine-out opp, the real foodies (lol) are using Chefs Feed, an app that reveals where the best chefs in the world are dining out. So far, CF features restaurants in 26 cities, but the list is growing. (Free on iOS and Android)
5. Scoutmob: The only thing better than finding a new neighborhood gem is finding one on the cheap. Scoutmob aims to lead you to hot new restaurants and bars, but incentivizes you to try something new by providing killer deals at up-and-coming establishments. (Free on iOS and Android)
6. Find Me Gluten Free: So the app isn’t known for revealing the most cutting-edge eateries, but it does really come in handy for diners seeking gluten-free grub. Either from a map or a list, easily find gluten-free options anywhere. (Free on iOS and Android)
7. Seamless: More than 12,000 restaurants in a slew of cities offer up their tasty menu items via delivery through this app. Seamless promises you’ll never make another phone call for takeout ever again, which we can guarantee we won’t miss. (Free on iOS and Android)
8. Yelp: This app may be the ultimate discovery tool considering it combines so many tools from others in a single platform. Search local options by price or neighborhood and even narrow it down to just what’s open now (perfect for late-night eats!). Even make a reservation within the app thanks to OpenTable built right in. (Free on iOS and Android)
9. Urbanspoon: This is probably one of the first food-finding tools you used on your smartphone, but Urbanspoon maintains a great reputation for helping you discover new eats. Use the app’s tools to easily discover what’s hot in the area and see what everyone else has to say about it. (Free on iOS and Android)
10. Zagat: While socially curated tips and advice are helpful, it doesn’t get much more useful than the rating system used by Zagat. Three numbered ratings from 0 to 30 tell you what to expect from the food, the decor and the service. The app will even show you Google Street View panoramas so you can see the outside of the restaurant before you arrive! Yes, this is the app to tell you where to take your parents when they’re in town next. (Free on iOS and Android)
11. Sprig: San Francisco residents who have the pleasure of living (or working) within the delivery range of this app, can get lunch or dinner in a tap. Choose from meals expertly prepared by a former Google chef to be delivered by a friendly server to your home or office. (Free on iOS and Android)
12. OrderUp: While standard takeout usually boils down to pizza or Chinese, this app is bringing real restaurant food straight to your door. OrderUp has 36 small communities in its delivery network so you don’t have to live in the big city to get the grub.
13. Push for Pizza: This app is a total dream for pizza lovers. A couple taps takes you from hungry to delivery of a piping hot pie. Although you can only select cheese or pepperoni, the app will find a nearby pizza joint, charge you for the meal and get it on its way to you within minutes. (Free on iOS)
14. Eat24: This food delivery app kicks things up a notch with a social element that shows you what your neighbors are eating. Browse a collection of restaurants near you and within a couple taps of the thumb you’ll be enjoying the meal at home. (Free on iOS and Android)
Do you order delivery via app? Or use an app to help you find a new restaurant? We’d love to hear about it!