Healthy & All-Natural Red, White + Blueberry Popsicles
Those patriotic, Bomb Pops of our youth just got a whole new look! Make the natural, grown-up version of the striped, frozen treats from fresh berries and yogurt instead artificial dyes and extra sugar. These pops are fruity, creamy and super festive — what more could you ask for?! Make a batch to celebrate July 4th or to beat the heat on any summer day!
Makes about six popsicles
– 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
– 2 1/2 cups sliced strawberries (about 20 strawberries)
– 2 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
– 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
– 3/4 – 1 cup granulated sugar
– Popsicle mold
1. Place blueberries in a medium sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Add in about 1/4 cup (or to taste) sugar and cook down while stirring occasionally until the liquids turn syrupy (about 8 minutes).
2. Remove from heat and puree the blueberries. Run through a mesh sieve (if desired) and discard any solids or skins.
3. Transfer puree to a spouted measuring cup.
4. Carefully pour into the bottom of popsicle molds. Freeze for about 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, stir in the vanilla bean paste into the yogurt. Sweeten with sugar, if desired.
6. Once the blueberry layer is frozen, add in the vanilla yogurt. Return to the freezer.
7. Place the sliced strawberries in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add in about 1/4 cup (or to taste) sugar and cook down while stirring occasionally until (about eight minutes).
8. Remove from heat and puree the strawberries.
9. Transfer puree to a spouted measuring cup.
10. Remove the popsicle from the freezer. Place the popsicle sticks into the vanilla yogurt layer at this time.
11. Carefully pour the strawberry puree layer around the stick. Return to the freezer.
12. Once the strawberry layer is set, top of the popsicle with a second layer of vanilla yogurt. Freeze until completely set.
13. To serve, run molds under warm water to release the popsicles.
The trick to making these patriotic popsicles is working quickly in layers. First, make + strain a blueberry syrup and carefully pour the sweet puree into the your molds.
Build on that base with a layer of creamy vanilla yogurt and then sweetened strawberry puree — you’ll make that the exact same way you did the blueberry batch: Chop, add sugar, reduce and pour in! Toss the full molds (don’t forget the sticks!) into the freezer until the popsicles are solid.
Just run the molds under warm water to release the warm-weather treats and make sure to transfer them to an icy plate to serve. Then present to your painted-faced little ones after the July 4th parade, surprise your grill-out guests with a flame-free dessert or just make them any old day with the fuits you have on hand — mango and kiwi to give it a tropical twist, or even watermelon and cantaloupe to cool you off on scorching hot days.
We’re melting over these red, white + blue treats! So excuse us as we take a few more bites ;)
What other tri-colored desserts are you serving up this July? Tell us in the comments below.