There’s just something so irresistible about French-girl style. Honestly, how do they do it? They manage to always be super stylish, but never overtly trendy. Their look is somehow both polished and casual — all at the same time. This Bastille Day, inject some Parisian flair into your tresses by learning a few lessons from the greats. That’s right: We’re talkin’ French-girl hair icons. Whether you’re all about that ’60s glam or looking to master beachy waves, scroll on and find inspo from our fave iconic French babes.
1. Vanessa Paradis: Johnny Depp, eat your heart out! Actress/model Vanessa Paradis perfects that “I woke up like this” appeal with her lazy-gal waves. Unlike the standard beachy style, Vanessa adds a French twist (of course) to the look with soft, face-framing ridges. (Photo via Ian Gavan/Getty)
2. Josephine Baker: Thinking of moving to France? Take your cue from Josephine Baker and turn Paris upside down with some killer style. While many ladies of her generation were all about those razor sharp blunt cuts and bobs, Baker pioneered the head-hugging curl for the original #shorthairgoals. (Photo via General Photographic Agency/Getty)
3. Jeanne Damas: Leave it to the ultimate French It-girl, Jeanne Damas, to have us coveting her effortless hair. Damas’ beautiful ‘do proves that all you need to rock a stunning hairstyle is a great cut (check out those wispy bangs) and *tons* of attitude. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
4. Audrey Tautou: In case you haven’t heard, Audrey Tautou is pretty much the modern-day equivalent of Audrey Hepburn. With her big doe eyes and baby bangs, Audrey gives off that It-girl-next-door appeal. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
5. Francoise Hardy: Before there was Jeanne Damas, there was Francoise Hardy. This adorable snap of the ’60s French icon, with her messy bangs and slightly feathered hair, proves this sweet cut has been a go-to French gal look for decades. (Photo via Victor Blackman/Getty)
6. Clemence Poesy: Leave it to French girls to *always* be cutting edge. It looks like the desert rose hairstyle might not have originated stateside, after all. Clemence Poesy was seen rocking this warm red shade all the way back in February. (Photo via Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images for Burberry)
7. Catherine Deneuve: Did Ariana Grande get her hair inspo from this French fashion and beauty icon? Catherine flaunted some gorgeous volume back in the day with her high, half updo that is giving us all the retro vibes. (Photo via Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty)
8. Melanie Laurent: The less is more mantra is key when it comes to sporting some covetable French style. Melanie Laurent stuns on the red carpet with her classic updo. Just remember to leave some face-framing strands free and flowing for that soft romantic look. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
9. Coco Chanel: Is it just us, or did Coco pretty much invent the concept of personal style? The queen of fashion was seen here wearing a beautifully adorned hat to top off her too-cute matching skirt suit. (Photo via Evening Standard/Getty)
10. Marion Cotillard: Marion Cotillard is the epitome of French sophistication. The Oscar-winning star wore a ’20s-inspired hairstyle to show us that French style never fades ;) (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
11. Eva Green: Old Hollywood glamor is alive and well when it comes to this sultry starlet. Eva Green took this classic curl to the next level by sweeping her lush locks off to one side. (Photo via Tim P. Whitby/Getty Images for Campari)
12. Lea Seydoux: Take a simple yet Insta-worthy approach to beauty with a messy ‘do paired with a bright red lip. Lea’s laid-back hairstyle is essential for giving off those light and bohemian vibes. (Photo via Luca Teuchmann/Getty)
13. Brigitte Bardot: We’d be remiss not to include the one and only Brigitte Bardot. The ’60s style icon exudes French mystique with her on-point cat eye and larger than life coif. To this day, she’s still got us swooning over her flawlessly beehived ‘do. (Photo via Keystone/Getty)
14. Sonia Rykiel: What more can we expect from the woman who brought the rainbow stripe to high fashion, than a fabulously quirky hairstyle that is the epitome of eclectic chic? Rykiel is a perfect example of how, sometimes, #frenchhairdontcare. (Photo via Pascal Le Segratain/Getty)
Who’s your hair icon? Follow us on Pinterest for more genius hair hacks and inspo.