Not simply wasabi’s partner in crime at the sushi bar, ginger has a whole lot more to offer. Simply use a spoon to peel away the thin skin of this unassuming rhizome to reveal a fragrant bouquet of warm, invigorating scents just below the surface. But what comes next? No sweat. These 20 fantastic recipes capture the unmatched essence of fresh ginger beautifully — let’s get cooking!
2. A Twist on the Moscow Mule: Ginger’s raised to the second power right here. Ginger beer and ginger simple syrup are shaken up with lime, mint and vodka to create an upgraded version of a classic cocktail. (via The Dandy Life)
3. Easiest Ever 5-Minute Thai Peanut-Ginger Slaw: Who doesn’t love a speedy side? Similar to pad thai minus the noodles, this slaw is terrific served alongside grilled chicken, fish and so much more. (via The Wanderlust Kitchen)
4. Lemon-Ginger Quinoa Pudding with Plum Conserve: Nutty quinoa stands in for rice in this pudding recipe; the heady ginger-plum conserve spooned over top is a fabulous accompaniment. (via Butterlust)
5. Homemade Soda: Make your own ginger soda for cocktails or to calm an upset stomach. Don’t miss the other recipes for lemon rosemary soda and spiced chai soda included after the jump. (via Brit + Co)
6. Gua Bao With Hoisin and Ginger Pulled Pork: Pork shoulder is given a rubdown with a ginger-chili-hoisin sauce, then braised for hours in ginger beer until it shreds with ease. Stuffed into homemade dough along with slaw, these steamed buns are alive with flavor. (via Drizzle and Dip)
8. Curry Red Pepper + Tomato Soup (Vegan, Gluten-free): Looks can be deceiving… this certainly ain’t no ordinary creamy tomato soup. It’s better. (via Will Frolic for Food)
10. Classic Carrot-Ginger Dressing: No need to swing by your local teppanyaki restaurant for dinner with a show to get a taste of this favorite salad dressing. Even better: you can upgrade your lettuce to something other than iceberg. (via Saveur)
13. Tandoori-Style Roasted Chicken: Marinating chicken in a highly seasoned yogurt mixture yields an irresistibly moist bird every time. A little drizzle of melted butter after roasting adds a little je ne sais quoi. (via Wild Greens and Sardines)
14. Tofu Buddah Bowl With Ginger-Soy Dressing: Grating gives tofu an almost meat-like appearance that may trick folks into thinking they’re eating something else entirely. Piled into a bowl along with avocado, brown rice, greens and a vibrant dressing makes it even more likely to escape notice. (via Lemons and Anchovies)
15. Butternut Squash Soup: Using merely five ingredients, this soup is totally convenient to make! Even better: it cooks up in just 30 minutes, is super healthy AND delicious. #Winning (via Brit + Co)
16. Oven Roasted Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin With Maple-Ginger Glaze: Try this ginger-y, maple-y twist on teriyaki tonight. (via Feed Me Phoebe)
17. Ginger Mango Chicken en Papillote: Oven-poached chicken packets with a fruity-spicy salsa make a healthy and foolproof dinner centerpiece. Try them served over steamed rice with a side of black beans. (via Jelly Toast Blog)
19. Grilled Sweet Potatoes With Cherry Salsa: How stunning are these bright orange potato wedges topped with chopped cherries, pecans, green onions and ginger?! Each bite is a playful mix of sweet and savory. (via The First Mess)
20. Garlic-Ginger Edamame: Season up a pack of frozen edamame with this ever-so-easy recipe. We’re dying to give this recipe a go come springtime with fresh, unshelled sugar snap peas swapped in for the soybeans. (via The Wanderlust Kitchen)
How often do you cook with fresh ginger? Let’s chat about our favorite rhizome recipes in the comments!