Romance + Fandom Collide at This Gorgeous, Geeky Georgia Wedding
Glitter meets geek at Jessalin and Dom’s Georgia wedding. Romantic details, blush tones and lots of glitter are mixed with decor inspired by superheroes, comic books and games. The result? A personality-packed bash that was all the couple’s own. Read on for DIY wedding inspiration that speaks to both your inner nerd and pretty princess.
1. Photoshop in 30 Days: Taking advantage of a free 30-day trial, Jessalin taught herself Photoshop so she could design the wedding invitations herself. She printed them at home on heavy card stock paper for an even more special touch.
2. Pretty Paper: On a Photoshop roll, Jessalin also designed and printed other paper products for the wedding herself, like all of the table numbers. For a touch of whimsy, she purchased and downloaded cute graphics on Etsy and incorporated them into her designs.
3. Geeky Boutonnieres: These aren’t your average boutonnieres! To really make the groomsmen accessories shine — and show off their friends’ personalities — the couple paired wooden lapels from Etsy that featured each groomsman’s favorite superhero (or in one case, the Magic the Gathering symbol) with pretty paper flowers. Jessalin simply glued the flowers to the backs of the lapels to make the keepsake-worthy boutonnieres.
4. Super(hero) Centerpieces: Here’s another gloriously geeky wedding touch. Jessalin made sure each of the paper flower centerpieces included at least one superhero-themed flower. The flowers, made out of comic book paper, added a bit of an edge to the pretty paper arrangements.
5. Pins FTW: Jessalin and Dom set out bowls of pins that featured characters from their favorite TV shows and comic books as guest gifts. Many of the guests ended up donning the pins that night!
6. Go Big: Hey, it’s okay to occasionally admit DIY defeat. After trying (and, she admits, failing) to craft giant paper flowers herself, Jessalin turned to Etsy seller Land of Flowers for an alternative take on a bouquet. Going the paper flower route not only looked striking, but helped cut down on wedding costs too.
7. DIY “Yay!” Flags: Jessalin got back on her DIY game with these super cute “yay!” flags that she put together for her guests to wave as she and her new groom made their aisle exit. She crafted the flags using chalkboard pennants, wooden dowels and chalkboard markers for a festive sendoff.
8. Champagne Sippin’: No romantic wedding is complete without a little (okay, maybe more than a little!) champagne. The couple’s guests sipped the night away at the DIY champagne bar, where they could fill their plastic flutes with different fruits and berries for yummy flavor combos.
9. Golden Sippers: For the bridesmaids, the champagne sipping started even earlier — and went down in style. Jessalin personalized glass bottles with gold stickers in each of her bridesmaid’s names so they could indulge in some bubbly while getting ready for the big day.
10. Simply Glowing: Guests got their glow on out on the dance floor, thanks to this treasure trove of glow sticks and arm bands. Everyone’s cool (or corny) dance moves shined even brighter with a little help from these fun accessories.
With so much sparkle, shine and geeky surprises, not even a little rain could put a damper on the bride and groom’s day. Congrats, Jessalin and Dom!
Do you have a DIY wedding that you’d like to share with us? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!