Have a sibling who snacks on Saint-André? A neighbor who nibbles on neufchatel? When the holidays come round this year, resist the neck-tie or wool sweater gifting urge and give the cheese maverick in your life what they really want. Don’t know where to start? Start here. Whether you’re shopping for a grilled cheese guru or a fondue fanatic, we’ve got everything you need. Because these ten great gift ideas are sure to please anybody who knows their way around a good cheese plate.
1. Deluxe DIY Cheese Kit ($50): This kit from Urban Cheesecraft promises 30 batches of cheese, including mozzarella, ricotta, crumbly goat cheese, creamy chevre, paneer, and queso blanco. Give this gift to your hungriest (and most crafty) of cheese lovers.
2. It’s Not You, It’s Brie: Unwrapping America’s Unique Culture of Cheese ($14): This book by Kristin Jackson is a great way to keep your cheese lover engaged by their greatest passion – for those unfortunate moments when they are not actively eating it.
3. Custom Cheese Markers ($46): These cheese markers from Baby Puppy Designs double as cheese spreaders – what simple genius! Customize these little guys with your friend’s top five favorite cheeses. A perfect gift to give alongside a hand-selected cheese plate.
4. Reclaimed Slate Cheese Board ($48): This slate cheese board from Uncommon Goods has style and utility. Made from reclaimed elementary school chalk boards, it adds a bit of whimsy and nostalgia to an already spectacular gift.
5. Vermont Farm Artisan Cheese Tours ($250 half day/$400 full day): Not messing around this holiday season? Good for you. Take your gift giving to the next level by taking your cheese lover on a tour of this Vermont farm. You two will enjoy cheese-making demos, tastings, beverage pairings, and a picnic.
6. Cheese Journal ($50): This cheese journal from Formaticum is a must-have for any cheese nerd. It makes for a great stocking stuffer and, with 55 entries per book, it’s something that you can give again next year.
7. Blue Ribbon Beauties ($59.99): Of course, cheese itself makes an excellent gift. These blue ribbon cheeses from Murray’s are so good they’ve actually been vetted by the American Cheese Society best-in-show awards (ie, the Cheese Olympics). Featuring Cabot Clothbound, Tarentaise, Ewe’s Blue, Marieke Gouda, and Bonne Bouche, this collection will help secure your title as High Priestess of Gift Giving.
9. Wine and Cheese Picnic Set ($55.95): It’s getting cold out there, and this wine and cheese picnic set from Wayfair will have your loved one eagerly anticipating the warm days of summer. Fill up this set with hand-selected wines and cheeses and throw a picnic in the living room in the meantime.
10. Ruffoni Copper Fondue Pot ($325): There’s cheese – and then there’s melted cheese. And something as beautiful as melted cheese deserves an equally beautiful vessel in which to serve it. Take a very deep breath and check out this stunning copper fondue pot from Williams-Sonoma.
What cheesy (see what we did there?) gifts are on your holiday wish list? Talk to us in the comments below.