The Only Grain-Free French Toast You’ll Ever Want to Eat
Cookbookmarked! is our new series where we review the latest cookbooks from the foodie influencers you follow. Check back often to find out which new releases are worth your hard-earned cash and the recipes you should try first from each.
The hardest part of switching to a grain-free diet is saying goodbye to comfort food staples like French toast. Luckily, Danielle Walker of the blog Against All Grain has you covered. Walker’s been developing allergy-friendly recipes (including grain-free, dairy-free, and paleo) since 2007. Her latest cookbook, Eat What You Love: Everyday Comfort Food You Crave ($25) walks you through simple ways to make all the foods you love in spite of any dietary restrictions.
Walker’s book is broken into sections like breakfast, snacks, lunches, easy dinners, and make-ahead-meals. Each recipe is labeled according to which allergies it helps cater to. For example, cauliflower hummus is egg-free, nut-free, nightshade-free, and friendly to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.
But back to the toast at hand: Walker’s EatWhat You Love has a new recipe for grain-free French toast that is as luxurious and hearty as it is good for you. You can try the recipe below with Walker’s classic grain-free sandwich bread, or you can use her grain-free banana bread recipe (available in the book) for an extra dose of sweetness.
Banana-Chocolate-Hazelnut French Toast
(Serves 4 to 6)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 8 slices banana bread (recipe in Eat What You Love), each 1⁄4 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread, at room temperature
- 1 banana, cut into 1⁄4-inch slices
- In a shallow bowl or pie plate, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla until combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the ghee and spread it around the skillet as it melts.
- Working in batches, dip each side of a banana bread slice into the egg mixture and move it around gently until well coated.
- Place the coated bread pieces into the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat until all of the bread slices are cooked, adding ghee to the pan, a teaspoon at a time, as needed.
- Transfer the French toast to plates and slather each piece with the chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Top with a few slices of banana and serve.
Find more grain-free favorite recipes like this one on our Pinterest!
(Photography via Aubrie Prick / Recipe by Danielle Walker)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.