10 Natural Makeup + Beauty Product Swaps to Make ASAP
Paraffin, formaldehyde, parabens, synthetic fragrances and talc are just a few of the toxic ingredients found in beauty products lots of us use every single day. Unfortunately the list of nasty — and often harmful — ingredients goes on and on, so it’s important to understand exactly what goes into the stuff you’re trusting enough to put on your skin and in your hair. Keep those all-natural beauty tips in mind and take a look at what you’re workin’ with at home — don’t be scared to read those labels! Then consider making green beauty product swaps. Here are 10 green products that can replace your everyday beauty staples, so you’re left looking fab and feeling good about the stuff you’re using.
1. W3LL PEOPLE Narcissist Foundation Stick ($30): Instead of smearing on emollient-based formulas that can contain lanolin, denatured alcohol, talc and even wax (um, sick), give this natural stick foundation a try. It’s made with pure, organic ingredients, is gluten-free, contains no GMO and is produced using sustainable energy. As if those reasons wouldn’t convince you, this foundation seriously covers up your imperfections and is packaged for busy girls on the go. What’s not to love?
2. Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelée ($13): This coconut water-infused cream blush is a great replacement for the chemical-filled one on your vanity right now. It offers a gorgeous, buildable, blendable color that doesn’t contain any parabens, sulfates or phthalates. The stuff also packs serious staying power: It’ll last on your cheeks for up to 14 hours!
3. 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara ($25): Your eyes are an extra sensitive area of your face, so it’s really important that you’re comfortable with the ingredients in your eye makeup. This formula’s color comes from black tea, berry and cocoa pigments, which coat your lashes in an inky color while keeping them free of smudges and flakes.
4. RMS Beauty Buriti Bronzer ($28): This gorgeous, glowy cream bronzer should replace your current go-to STAT. Beyond containing vitamin A, Buriti oil, coconut oil, cocoa and rosemary, this stuff makes you look like you just got back from a vacation. Pro tip: It also makes a killer eyeshadow or liner.
5. Goobsi Lavender Organic Toner ($24): It’s best to go super natural when it comes to face toner (apple cider vinegar as face toner included). Organic lavender water is the only ingredient you’ll find in this toner, so you know what you’re putting on your skin is good for it. I personally used this stuff, and became addicted to the fresh scent and clarifying effect it had on my skin.
6. Schmidt’s Deodorant ($9): More and more people are making the switch to all-natural deodorant because of the negative effects the chemical-filled kind can have on the body. Schmidt’s makes natural stick and jar deodorants that come in a bunch of interesting scents (bergamot + lime, cedarwood + juniper and lavender + sage, to name a few).
7. Graydon Green Cream ($32): The best way to get silky smooth skin is by using a lotion that is overflowing with natural, good-for-your-skin ingredients (that you can actually pronounce). This intensely moisturizing lotion is infused with broccoli, avocado, coconut and olive oils, aloe and fresh herbs, so you’re basically giving your skin a green smoothie.
8. Kimberly Parry Organics All-in-One Bar ($9): If you’re after a one-stop-shop product you can feel good about using from head to toe, this is it. This unscented soap can even be used on babies — that’s how gentle it is. The natural ingredients in it allow for gentle cleansing without stripping any of those good natural oils from your skin and hair.
9. Lily Lolo Lipstick ($18): There’s nothing worse than putting on a beautiful lipstick only to be left with lips that are in worse shape than before you put the color on (dryness + flakes, I’m talking about Y’ALL). Lily Lolo’s blend of 100% natural ingredients — like organic vitamin E and rosemary extract — will nourish your pucker while giving it gorgeous color at the same time.
10. NUDE Conditioner ($40): Swap out conditioner that will weigh your hair down with chemicals for a lighter alternative like NUDE Conditioner. This stuff is made in California (hayyyy) and contains organic, sustainable ingredients like pracaxi, babassu and acai oil. It has a fresh, clean scent that’ll wake you up thanks to pink grapefruit and lemon myrtle essential oils. Follow up your shampoo with this conditioner, and your locks will totally thank you by looking on point.
Follow us on Pinterest for more green beauty + hair inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.