Mmm Mmm Good For You: Healthy Fall Farro Salad
We know it’s not officially fall yet, but September still has us craving fall flavors. Apples, pears, and even pumpkins are top of mind. (Yes, we’ve already had one–or five–pumpkin spiced lattes from Starbucks this week.)
What better way to bring them all of these delicious flavors together than in the ultimate harvest salad? Farro gives this dish a nutty texture, and dried cranberries add tartness and color. This salad can stand alone as a light lunch with just 350 calories per 1 cup serving, or you can serve it alongside grilled chicken or fish for a heartier meal.
– ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
– ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
– 2 tablespoons honey
– ¼ cup fresh orange juice
– salt and pepper, to taste
– 3 cups cooked farro, drained and cooled
– 2 apples
– 2 pears
– 1 cup dried cranberries
– 1 red onion
– ½ cup pumpkin seeds
– 2 tablespoons parsley
1. Cook farro according to package instructions. Drain and let cool.
2. Prepare the dressing. Combine olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, orange juice, salt, and pepper. Whisk together. Set aside.
3. Chop the apples into cubes. Cut the pears into thin slices. Thinly slice the red onion. Chop parsley.
3. Combine cooked farro, apples, pears, cranberries, red onion, pumpkin seeds, and parsley.
4. Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Toss together. Enjoy!
Combine olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, orange juice, orange zest, salt, and pepper. Whisk together.
Chop the apples. Thinly slice the red onion. Chop the parsley. Slice the pears.
In a large bowl, combine cooked farro, apples, pears, red onion, pumpkin seeds, cranberries, and parsley.
Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
Yum! This salad combines all of our favorite fall ingredients. You can serve immediately, or keep it covered in the refrigerator. It only gets better with time!