The end of summer isn’t all bad. It means football season is just around the corner! Which is basically a weekly excuse to throw a party outside with all our friends and family. Whether you’re rooting for the local high school team, your college alma mater, your favorite NFL team or even just a pick-up game with friends, these healthy tailgate recipes are sure to impress all of your guests.
1. Gluten-Free Soft Pretzels: Following a gluten-free diet? You don’t have to miss out on a tailgate staple any longer. Make this version with a gluten-free flour blend and don’t forget the mustard and cheese sauce for dipping. (via Free People)
2. Pumpkin Pie Hummus With Baked Cinnamon “Sugar” Tortilla Chips: This fall take on hummus is healthy, easy and tastes like pumpkin pie. It’s a great alternative to dessert too. (via Food Faith Fitness)
3. Healthier Puppy Chow: The sweet Chex Mix staple gets a healthy makeover by cutting down on the powdered sugar and using your favorite nut butter instead for some healthy fats. It also includes added protein from chia and hemp seeds. (via The Lean Green Bean)
4. Vegan Buffalo Wings: Omnivores and vegans alike will love these lightened-up wings. The cauliflower is breaded and baked with hot sauce to make this a healthier wing option that no one will guess is vegan. (via 86 Lemons)
5. Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp With Avocado Cilantro Dip: Break out the grill on game day to make these delicious shrimp kebabs. Marinated in lime juice, honey and jalapeño pepper, this is healthy tailgate option that’s gluten-free, low carb and low fat. (via Food Faith Fitness)
6. Roasted Garlic Kale Hummus: Add an extra punch of nutrients to your hummus by adding a little kale to the mix. A tailgate isn’t complete without dip, and this is a healthier alternative to store-bought versions or pre-packaged mixes. (via Oh My Veggies)
7. Fresh Corn Salsa With Baked Chili Lime Tortilla Chips: Take advantage of all the fresh end-of-summer corn and make your own tortilla chips from homemade corn tortillas. Trust us, you’ll never miss the store-bought stuff. (via The Healthy Maven)
8. Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins: Chili is a necessity for any tailgate, and chili isn’t complete without cornbread. This version is sweetened with honey rather than white sugar and is filled with pumpkin for an extra serving of veggies and fiber. (via Ambitious Kitchen)
10. Healthy White Bean Dip With Avocado and Cilantro: If hummus and guacamole got married and had a baby, this is dip would be the result. It’s quick, easy and totally tailgate-worthy. (via Peas and Crayons)
11. Quinoa Black Bean Tacos With Creamy Avocado Sauce: Looking for a vegan option for your tailgate? This is a simple recipe that everyone will enjoy. Pack your ingredients separately and set up a taco bar at your next tailgate. (via Cookie + Kate)
13. Vegan Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bites: Say hello to your new go-to tailgating dessert. You’ll get a serving of fruit and a host of antioxidants with these lightened-up truffles. (via The Almond Eater)
14. Chocolate Pumpkin Almond Butter Cups: We love noshing on some chocolate in between quarters, but most store-bought candies are filled with not-so-healthy ingredients. These almond butter cups are the ultimate fall football treat. (via Edible Perspective)
What are your favorite tailgating foods? Let us know below in the comments.