8 Heartwarming Podcasts That’ll Inspire You This Holiday Season
If you’ve spent a good portion of the fall listening to the latest crop of excellent true-crime podcasts, chances are you’re ready for something a little lighter for the holidays. Not unlike settling into a Hallmark movie or turning on a playlist of festive tunes, adding some heartwarming podcasts to your listening queue will help you make the most of the coziest season. Here are eight podcasts that’ll leave you feeling uplifted through the holidays and beyond. Click the podcast title to listen online, or subscribe wherever you get your podcasts.
1. Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations: Oprah Winfrey is famous for her thoughtful, personal conversations with celebrities, spiritual practitioners, and thought leaders in every industry. Her SuperSoul Conversations podcast features some of the best of those chats, covering everything from life’s big questions, to daily inspiration and gratitude, to health and wellness. If you have a similarly open heart and mind, these conversations should be a regular part of your listening rotation.
2. Happier With Gretchen Rubin: The author of the bestselling book The Happiness Project dishes out advice and practical tips for taking control of your own happiness in a delightful podcast that is part self-help, part gab sesh with your BFF, and all comfort.
3. Terrible, Thanks for Asking: This is a podcast about being honest with yourself and others when life just plain sucks. It might not sound like the most uplifting topic, but truthfully, there’s a freeing feeling that comes with being more emotionally honest with ourselves and others, and a sense of power and comfort in knowing you’re not alone.
4. Kind World: The holidays are a perfect time to be reminded of the profound effect that kindness and compassion can have on the lives of others — especially given the tense current cultural and political climate. Have some tissues handy when you dive into these episodes.
5. Beautiful/Anonymous: Also known as Beautiful Stories from Anonymous People, this call-in podcast is hosted by comedian Chris Gethard, who puts jokes aside to flex his kindness, curiosity, and empathy. Each week, an anonymous person calls in to talk about whatever they want. The stories range from heartbreaking to silly, but every episode has a common thread: two people connecting on a very basic human level.
6. Strangers: In her latest audio venture, Lea Thau — the creator of what’s still considered the gold standard in storytelling podcasting, The Moth — explores what it is to move around in the world and encounter, fear, have your life changed by, and even be a stranger. It’s a heartening reminder to look around and engage with the world every once in a while, because you never know who you might meet.
7. Getting Curious With Jonathan Van Ness: The endearing and all-encompassing warm energy you fell in love with on Netflix’s Queer Eye is on full display in Jonathan Van Ness’ podcast. In each episode, he sits down with guests from all fields and disciplines — including his fellow Queer Eye stars — to let his curiosity about their lives and work run wild. It’s invigorating to hear someone so interested and invested in other people, and it might just spark something similar in you.
8. This Is Love: Love comes in many forms, and the latest podcast from the team behind the long-running true-crime hit Criminal aims to share touching short stories about just a few of them. Expect to have, as the kids say, all the feels listening to this one.
What feel-good podcast would you recommend for a cozy holiday listen? Let us know @BritandCo.
(photos via Scott Olson/Getty Images + Bryan Bedder/Getty Images for Vulture Festival)