Skip the Drive Thru With These 13 On-the-Go Dinner Sandwiches
Now that school is in full swing, you’re probably spending more time eating in the car and less sitting down at the dinner table. Instead of being tempted by your favorite fast food burger and fries, consider prepping a few hearty sandwiches that the whole family will get excited for. Whether you’re a fan of an Italian sub or a classic grilled cheese, you’ll find several recipes below that’ll fit right into your routine. Scroll down to check out 13 sandwiches to keep your family fed on-the-go.
1. Turkey Bacon and Avocado Grilled Cheese: Really, you can’t go wrong with crispy bacon and creamy avocado. Layer them with tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella between hearty multigrain bread, and you’ve basically hit all the food groups in one hand-held meal. (via Tidy Mom)
2. Sirloin Steak Sandwiches With Horseradish Sauce: You won’t find this sandwich on any fast food menu — even served with curly fries. If you take the time to prepare the meat over the weekend, you could have steak sandwiches available whenever you need them in the days ahead. (via Foodiecrush)
3. Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwiches: If you have kids that come and go, make a big batch of buffalo chicken filling, and you can whip them up this grilled cheese in a flash. (via Greens and Chocolate)
4. Cheddar, Bacon, Chicken, Apple Sandwiches With Honey Mustard Spread: Just because you decide to go for a sandwich for dinner doesn’t mean it has to be basic. Enter this cheddar, bacon, chicken, and apple sammie. (via Recipe Runner)
5. Cold Cut Bundt Pan Sub Sandwich: There will always be days where you find yourself needing to feed both your kids and all of their friends. Those times call for a massive sub sandwich that’s made right in a classic bundt pan. (via Four Sons ‘R’ Us)
6. Cuban Sandwich: Grab a loaf of chewy French bread and make a Cuban sandwich ASAP. Between the tender meat, sour pickles and mustard, and Swiss cheese, you’ll crave this for dinner at least once a week. (via Saving Room for Dessert)
7. Garlic Knot Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches: Are you drooling yet? When you can’t sit down to have a full chicken parm meal, this portable version will ease the craving while keeping your car seats *somewhat* clean. (via Host the Toast)
8. Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich: Oui, s’il vous plaît! The benefit of making your own sandwich at home is that you can load up with all the toppings you like, and model it after your fave French dish, chicken cordon bleu. (via The Cookie Rookie)
9. Hot Italian Sandwiches: Hot sandwiches don’t have to be a big fuss. Enlist the help of the whole family to assemble these subs then keep them warm in the oven until everyone is ready to eat. (via Wonky Wonderful)
10. Italian Pressed Sandwich: If you’re a fan of a muffuletta, you’ll love this vegetarian option. Slice open a sturdy loaf of sourdough and stuff it with olive tapenade, artichokes, eggplant, Swiss chard, provolone, and peppers. (via Vanilla and Bean)
11. Patty Melt: This diner favorite is an easy option to substitute for burger night. Serve on toasted rye bread dressed with caramelized onions and Swiss cheese for authentic patty melt flavor. (via Platter Talk)
12. Chicken Ranch Wraps: Sure, you could probably find a decent chicken wrap at most fast food restaurants, but none will be as delicious and wholesome as this one. Save time by using your go-to bottled ranch instead of making your own. (via Gimme Delicious)
13. Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches: You need to utilize your slow cooker for more than just sit-down meals. This Philly cheese steak gets a flavor boost with beef that’s been slow-cooked to perfection with peppers and onions. (via Dinner Then Dessert)
Follow us on Pinterest for more on-the-go recipes!