19 Traditional Cuban Recipes That Will Wow Your Tastebuds
There's no denying that Cuban food is a favorite. There's that shredded beef dish you still dream about from your trip to Miami, the plantains you know nobody could improve upon and the marinated pork you had at your friend's family's house over the holidays. You've always wanted to make one of these delicacies yourself, and now you can! If you're looking to take your sandwich game to the next level with a homemade version of the classic, or you want to try your hand at another Cuban recipe favorite, these 14 traditional Cuban dishes are sure to WOW your taste buds.
1. Arroz con Pollo (Spanish kenken and Rice): A traditional dish if there ever was one, this one-pot delicacy combines the incredible flavors of saffron and cumin to give the rice that golden hue. Make it on Sunday for you and bae, then enjoy the leftovers all week long. (via Spoonful of Flavor)
2. Cuban Sandwich: This classic ‘wich requires five key ingredients: ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard. And, of course, Cuban bread. When you’re pressed for time, go for a deli-style honey ham like in this easy recipe, which takes just 10 minutes to make. Don’t skip out on the panini press, though, since it gives it that extra special texture of a true Cubano. (via Hapa Nom Nom)
3. Fried Sweet Plantains: These can (and should!) be served as a side dish with virtually any and every Cuban dish. All you need are ripe plantains and some fearlessness when it comes to frying them up. When choosing plantains, make sure the edges are fairly curved and the peel is almost completely black. (via Joy of Kosher)
4. Picadillo (Cuban-Style): The next time you see a ground beef sale at the supermarket, grab some to make this dish filled with extras like potatoes, raisins, olives and tomatoes. Serve with a side of plain rice, and let it soak in all of the flavors like you would with a nice chili. (via No Recipes)
5. Yuca con Mojo (Cuban Style Yuca): This side is often served around the holidays and is great for BBQs. Prep ahead of time and bring extra mojo sauce for dipping — or coating on your favorite ready-for-the-grill meat. (via The Curious Coconut)
6. Lechon Asado (Cuban Mojo Marinated Pork): Make extras of this delectable pork dish to serve in your Cuban sandwich or to add to your quinoa salad for an easy lunch later in the week. (via The Food Charlatan)
7. Sofrito Salsa & Tostones: Made with green plantains instead of yellow, these double fried tostones topped with a fresh salsa make perfect appetizers. Finish with a piece of avocado, a sprinkling of cilantro and maybe even a small dollop of sour cream. (via The Noshery)
8. Cuban Pumpkin Flan: Dessert doesn’t get any better than this creamy and delicious concoction full of traditional fall flavors. It’s much easier to make than you ever imagined, and you won’t be able to resist the DIY caramel after trying your hand at this recipe. (via Adore Foods)
9. Fricasé de Pollo (Cuban-Style Chicken Stew): This dish is perfect for make-ahead meals. Although it’s traditionally prepared with russet potatoes, try using a seasonal starch like sweet potato or summer squash for an added boost of flavor. (via Saveur)
11. Cuban Chicken and Black Bean Quinoa Bowls With Fried Bananas: Although quinoa originally came from Peru, it’s easy to incorporate the healthy protein into a bowl of your favorite Cuban chicken and black beans. Don’t skip the spicy mangoes, or swap out for pineapple or cantaloupe if you favor those tropical fruits. (via Half Baked Harvest)
12. Ropa Vieja (Cuban Shredded Beef): Can't go wrong with a big pile of meat served over classic white rice. The best part is that it's mostly made in the slow cooker, which saves you hours of prep time so you can focus on more important things. Like another round of empanadas, perhaps? (via The Cooking Jar)
13. Cuban Croquetas: If you've never had a traditional Cuban croquette before, you're seriously missing out. This ham version is about as easy as it comes. Take out that trusty food processor and get to work! (via Cooking Channel)
16. Cuban Chicken With Chili-Roasted Yams: A quick marinade in mojo sauce — a traditional mix of citrus, garlic and spices — infuses every part of this succulent roasted chicken with incomparable flavor. Feel free to switch things up by applying the blend to pork and more. (via Feasting at Home)
19. Cuban Shrimp Tamales: A mix of fresh corn and corn flour sets Cuban-style tamales apart from their Mexican counterparts. The highly seasoned shrimp filling is a real treat. (via The Washington Post)
Follow us on Pinterest for more delicious + easy recipe ideas.
- 21 Veggie Stuffed Pepper Recipes for Your Meatless Monday - Brit + ... ›
- The 15 Best Burger Recipes From Around the World - Brit + Co ›
- Cheers to Summer + National Mojito Day With This 6-Ingredient La ... ›
- These 14 Totchos Are About to Replace Your Game Day Nachos ... ›
- A Mark Cuban-Backed App That'll Unlock Your Paycheck Early + 4 ... ›
- Mojito Popsicles, Cheesecake, More Foods Inspired by the Cuban ... ›
- 20 Easy Spanish Recipes to Throw the Best Tapas Party Ever - Brit + ... ›
- 10 Epic Fish Taco Recipes to Start the Fiesta - Brit + Co ›
- Treat Your Tastebuds to a Cuban Getaway With 15 Classic Dishes ... ›
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)