When guacamole just won’t do and your avocados are ripening faster than you can say “avocado toast,” make avocado ice cream! From sweet to savory recipes, there are so many unique ways to use up an abundance of avocados. But for summertime, what better way than to churn them into a frozen treat? Smooth and creamy, avocados naturally create the perfect ice cream base. Sweetened with banana and brightened up with some fresh lime, these green beauties quickly turn into a sweet treat.
Lime Simple Syrup
– 1/4 cup water
– 1/4 cup lime juice
– 1/2 cup sugar
– zest of one lime
Avocado Ice Cream
– 2 ripe avocados
– 2 ripe bananas
– 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
– 1/4 to 1/2 cup lime simple syrup, or to taste
1. Place all of the ingredients for the simple syrup in a medium saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
3. Reduce the heat and let simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until syrup-like.
4. Remove from heat and let cool.
5. Once cool, strain out the lime zest using a fine mesh sieve.
6. For the ice cream, combine all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Adjust the amount of simple syrup to taste.
7. Freeze according to the instructions on your ice cream maker.
8. Place in a sealable container and freeze until solid. Remove from the freezer about 10 to 15 minutes before scooping.
Place the lime juice, water, sugar and lime zest in a saucepan. Bring to a boil before simmering for about 8-10 minutes.
Strain out the lime zest from the simple syrup by pouring the contents through a fine mesh sieve placed over a container.
Place the avocados, bananas, coconut milk and simple syrup in a blender. Blend until smooth. Adjust the amount of simple syrup according to taste. Pro tip: After freezing, the ice cream will lose some of its sweetness, so feel free to add a bit more simple syrup than you think necessary.
After churning the mixture according to the manufacturer’s instructions on your ice cream maker, pour into a sealable container. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the ice cream before freezing to help prevent discoloration. Then freeze until solid. Remove from the freezer about 10 to 15 minutes before scooping.
Similar to your creamy green morning smoothie, this ice cream is full of good fats and is non-dairy. A non-dairy ice cream that is still creamy? You bet!
You could even get away with eating this for breakfast :)
What’s your favorite way to use avocados this summer? Share your creations with us!