18 DIY Concrete Projects You Can Finish in a Weekend
We love making things ourselves. We also love sturdy, inexpensive materials with endless possibilities. And that’s why concrete is our new BFF. With all the DIY possibilities — think planters, fridge magnets, vases and even tables — it’s a material that is both durable and easy to work with. Make a stop at your local hardware store, and before you know it cool concrete decor is just a quick mold and dry away. Read on to get inspired with these 18 solid ideas.
1. Hand-Painted Cement Coasters: We’ve seen a lot of coasters in our day, but these might just take the cake. Between the simplicity and the color blocking potential, this is a DIY we could do over and over again and never get bored. (via Brit + Co)
2. Faceted Concrete Hooks: Our contributor Ben designed these concrete hooks for us. But that’s not all he did: He made an amazing template for you to print out at home. You’ll be amazed how simple these gorgeous wall hooks are to make. (via Brit + Co)
4. Star Magnets: Think of all the possibilities once you learn to make your own concrete fridge magnets. We love these star-shaped ones, but we can’t wait to see what you come up with on your own. To get extra creative, use some Mod Podge and paste on a cute design or the faces of your own little stars. (via At Home In Love)
5. Concrete Letters: Make yourself these initial blocks from concrete and cardboard molds to make a statement in your office or home. We would definitely remember any business with this much ingenuity. (via Learning Creating Living)
7. Concrete Door Stop: You’ll never lose your door stopper again with this statement piece. It’s light enough to move around, but heavy enough to to stay put. Plus you get to learn to make your own mold, which will definitely be a useful skill to have in your pocket. (via Instructables)
8. Pendant Light: Our contributor Ben did it again with this gorgeous hanging lamp. Believe it or not, these actually use plastic bottles as the mold. You’ll definitely save yourself a pretty penny by making these amazing industrial lamps right at home. (via Brit + Co)
9. Round Hanging Table: There’s no such thing as too many hanging planters, right? This project uses some cooking spray inside a bucket to make sure the concrete slips right out. We can’t wait to make a few of our own. (via The Merrythought)
10. Lacy Planters: If you have an old milk carton and some lace, you can make this amazing DIY in a jiffy. We know it looks like there’s actual lace on it, but it’s actually a super sweet paint trick. (via Brit + Co)
12. Cheese Board: Not only is this project lovely, but it’s also super practical. And since concrete retains both hot and cold temperatures, this serving plate will keep your food chilly or warm far longer than your average serving platter. Genius. (via A Daily Something)
13. Vases: Since we love flowers so much, we think making our own uber-sturdy, customizable vases is a great idea. Take your old bottles and make a bunch of them for decoration and gifts. With a wide enough rim, they could also work great as pencil and paintbrush holders for your office. (via Brit + Co)
15. Copper and Concrete Lamp: Concrete + copper might be our new fave industrial-chic pairing. Truth be told, you’re gonna need some tools for this stunner, but we think you can totally manage it. (via Brit + Co)
17. Dripped Concrete Planter: We can’t think of a weekend project that would be more fun than this dripped concrete planter. All you need is a planter that needs a makeover. Then mix up your concrete, turn your planter upside down, make a little puddle of concrete and let it drip down. (via A Beautiful Mess)
18. Modular Geometric Wall Planters: We can barely contain ourselves over these gilded modular wall planters. You could also place them on top of a surface for an herb garden or air plant container, or even customize them to be a bit deeper and use them to organize all the paperclips and knick-knacks on your desk. (via Instructables)
Which concrete projects are your fave? Any that we missed? Let us know in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)