7 #OOTDs for the Week: How to Style a Turtleneck Through Spring
This Monday’s weekly outfit inspiration is all about getting cozy with your turtlenecks (because you really shouldn’t need any help in the slightest getting cozy in your turtlenecks). Blame it on the weather, but the high-collar sweater is the latest knit to be embraced by the style set, who have predictably but not a bit less impressively mastered what it takes to make the normcore staple look fresh, modern and even fashion forward. Not buyin’ it? The ladies in these seven #ootds should turn you into a polo neck believer. Learn how to style the snuggly sweater into your outfits this week — and all through spring — using these Instagram snaps as inspiration.
1. @adenorah: A white button down isn’t the only top that will complete the chic-but-not-trying-too-hard look with your denim pencil skirt. France-based fashion blogger Adenorah shows that a roomy mock is a perfect sub, styling a ’70s-feeling silhouette with modern accessories like wayfarers, pointed-toe booties and an oversized clutch.
2. @galagonzalaz: Amlul.com fashion blogger Gala gets all the points for making her turtleneck more of a standout than her mustard parka, even when it’s completely buttoned up. Ladies, take note on the styling if you’re going to try to pull off this layering masterpiece: go one size up on the fit (men’s department, anyone?) and most importantly, make sure the sleeves are a real sight.
3. @weworewhat: Danielle of WeWoreWhat fame makes a great case for the whole half dressy, half casual look using a slouchy turtleneck to top off a saffron yellow wool circle skirt and leather pointed-toe wedges. Her low tousled pony and close to zero accessories help to balance the style-straddling look.
4. @queenofjetlags: Breathe new life into your weekly wardrobe by wearing a loose turtleneck with your pantsuit. Like Amsterdam style blogger Noor’s pairing, it’s best when both the top and the two-piece are fairly simple: a marled, slim-fit knit and a solid-hued suit play make an elegant duo that highlight details in both pieces you might otherwise skim over, like texture and tailoring. Use it as an excuse to wear sneakers to the office, too.
5. @designeroffduty: Minimalist style blogger Andrea Nicole Wagner shows off an unexpected way to make a menswear-influenced ensemble feel effortlessly sexy, and it’s by covering up more. As you can see here, a tight turtleneck — paired with a killer choker necklace — is a subtle, yet striking way to style a blazer and jeans — strappy pumps required.
6. @jxxsy: Vintage obsessive blogger Natalie schools us on how to make a straight-out-of-the-’60s outfit — a form-fitting turtleneck and cropped leopard print trousers — feel incredibly current by styling the retro duo with updated wardrobe staples like a cream trench, color blocked satchel and fur-and-chain loafers. Plus, a cotton white mani always helps to breathe fresh air into any outfit.
7. @lookdepernille: Stylist Pernille shows that’s it’s all about switching up your neck and hemlines. You’ve worn a V neck and skinnies to death by now (we all have), so when warmer spring weather hits, get creative with your options by pairing a full-coverage turtleneck with culottes for an offbeat outfit that’s as comfy as it is cool.
What Insta style stars do you follow? Do you do an #ootd on the regular? Tell us in the comments below, and be sure to tag your pics with @britandco for a chance to be featured in next week’s post.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)