How to Mix Pink and Red Makeup for a Fresh Spring Beauty Look
If you love a bold, romantic beauty look, you’ll fall head over heels for the new celebrity-approved color combo of pink and red. Once thought of as a taboo mixture, now it’s all about balance. “The only rule of thumb is that you want to keep one of the colors more prominent — the lip or the eye,” explains celebrity makeup artist Katie Jane Hughes, who created the above look on Kate Bosworth for the 2018 NYC premiere of Nona. “I always like to keep the eye soft and the lip bold. And one should be brighter than the other.” (Photo via Lars Niki / Stringer/ Getty)
Think this is up your beauty wheelhouse? Keep scrolling for step-by-step instructions to recreate the red carpet-ready makeover from the comfort of your own vanity.
Pretty in Pink (and red)
1. Prime your eyelids with a concealer or primer.
2. Use a flat fluffy eyeshadow brush to press pale pink eyeshadow onto your lids. If you’re not using a loose pigment, swirl the brush into your palette to pick up enough color to make an impact on your eyes. “Normally I start with using a little blush or cream shadow or cream blush on the eye and then layering different [eye shadow] powders over the top [to create the final color],” Hughes advises.
3. Apply eyeliner if you crave extra definition. “Maybe if the eye needs it, I’ll do a tiny little bit of a wing liner but only to mimic the effect of a lash,” Hughes says.
4. Generously apply black mascara.
5. Paint your pout with your favorite red lipstick. “I like to use a liquid matte buffed in from the center of the lips,” Hughes says. “Starting from the inner lip allows you to spread further out without going too far outside the lines.”
6. Dust on blush to tie the look together. “I like to do a little blush that mimics the tone in the eye so that there’s a connectivity there,” Hughes adds. “Again loads of mascara, a little bit of highlighter, a little bronzer — but the lip and the eye are the focus.”
(Photo via Katie Jane Hughes)
Craving something a bit punchier? Look no further than celebrity makeup artist Mai Quynh’s metallic pink and red glam on Chloë Grace Moretz for her July 2018 appearance on Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen.
- concealer or eye primer
- fluffy eyeshadow brush
- pale pink eyeshadow
- black liquid eyeliner (optional)
- black mascara
- pink blush
- red lipstick