The 9 Most Hack-able Items from IKEA’s 2015 Holiday Collection
Ever since IKEA’s Winter Holiday Collection made an appearance, it’s been pretty much impossible not to fall into a festive frame of mind. From the sparkling garlands to baking containers and bronze lighting, IKEA’s winter wonderland is full of festive essentials that are begging to be bought (and maybe tweaked just a bit to make the perfectly you-nique holiday hack). Whether you’re going for pastels, metallics or traditional shades of red, these nine IKEA pieces hold a variety of hacking options for whenever you decide it is acceptable to start buying holiday decorations.
1. Bronze Star Pendant Light ($20): IKEA finally hopped on the copper metallic craze, and now you’ll want a whole constellation of these gorgeous pendant lights. While it doesn’t get much more fabulous than these stars, try covering up the exposed wire with colorful wooden beads or with a giant braided rope.
2. Diamond Decorations ($4): Do you have a little one coming this holiday season? No? That’s okay, because this DIY gem mobile definitely works outside the nursery. Swap out the paper gems for IKEA’s light ornaments to make this super quick and easy project, or just string them together to make a sparkly garland.
3. Slippers ($13): Stockings? Slippers? Who cares! They’re adorable and definitely belong on the mantle. A few DIY embellishments wouldn’t hurt… maybe some fur along the top or perhaps a tassel or two?
4. Wooden Baubles ($10): The simplicity of these natural wood baubles is refreshing, but it could also be fun to throw some color blocking into the mix and just dip a few of these ornaments into paint.
5. Wrapping Paper ($3): Short on space this season? Skip the drama of hauling a messy tree up five flights of stairs and DIY a paper tree instead. Grab a couple rolls and mix up the color and patterns for a fun tree alternative. Don’t worry, you can still “hang” pretty lights on it.
6. Wine Glass ($3): That rich red color will look stunning on your tablescape this year. But wouldn’t it be fun to see what some DIY etching looks like on that red glass? Instead of place settings, you could make a personalized glass for everyone at the table. Yep, glass etching really is that easy.
7. Vinter Tin Containers ($6): These tins are amazing for giving away holiday goodies because no gift wrap is required. But if you can’t bring yourself to part with them, make them into a more permanent organization piece by adding a cute knob or funny plastic animal to the top and using them to store spices, tea or other dry ingredients.
8. Gold Ornaments ($10): “Taking down Christmas ornaments is the best,” said no one EVER. Keep your ornaments up all year long without getting any judgmental looks by making this ornament and lightbulb chandelier.
9. Tray ($7): ‘Tis the season to set up the holiday bar, whether that be a bar cart or just a snazzy tray. Load up this tray with all the holiday bar cart essentials, like pretty glassware and maybe a bottle or two of our personal favorite, the Jolly Brit mixer.
Can you come up with some more ways to hack IKEA’s holiday collection? Tell us what you think in the comments below!