18 Ways to Hack the IKEA Step Stool in Every Room of the House
The BEKVAM stool is a classic IKEA favorite that might just look like a normal wooden step stool. Yeah, it’s great for the kids and it’s great for reaching the top shelf in the pantry. But if you think that’s where this little stool’s potential stops, you’re seriously mistaken. The BEKVAM can be used in just about every room in the house: You can also use it as a nightstand, a storage piece, dining seating or a perch in the hallway for putting on your shoes. Scroll down to check out all the ways you can take that stool to the next level. If you don’t have a BEKVAM at home, these ideas might just make you want to go out and buy it. IKEA trip, anyone?
1. Kid’s Desk Seat: Um, can we please get this furry stool in our study? Make the BEKVAM a little more comfortable with a fur cushion so they can craft their masterpieces at a comfortable height. (via Design Sponge)
2. Kitchen Stool: While the natural wood of the BEKVAM is pretty, it’s way more fun painted a cheery accent color or covered in wallpaper. The kitchen is a great place to keep this stool, and it’s small enough to tuck under the table when you’re not using it. (via My Scandinavian Home)
3. DIY Coat Rack: Lacking a little something something in the closet area? Turn the BEKVAM stool into a fabulous and unique clothes stand where you can set out your outfit for the next morning. (via Micasa)
4. Bathroom Step Stool: No one should have to share a stool. If the sink is way out of reach, make sure your kids can still reach the toothpaste and fix their hair, and keep a pair of these super colorful stools right under the sink. (via My Design Chic)
6. Outdoor Plant Stand: Take the BEKVAM outside and use it as a plant ladder. The two steps are just right for showcasing your herb garden and turning your patio into a mini garden paradise. (via Apartment Therapy)
7. Kid’s Bedroom Nightstand: When you’re not using the stool to reach high places, paint the stool hot pink and put it next to the bed as a mini nightstand. The kids will love having an extra shelf for keeping all their treasures close at hand. (via Svenngarden)
8. Study Seating: When you’re deep in crafting mode, you don’t want to have to worry about reaching your favorite art supplies. Use the BEKVAM as a desk seat that can easily be moved over to the storage closet and used to reach the top shelf of art goodies. (via Bolig Magasinet)
9. Sink Step: If you have little ones, you can’t beat the BEKVAM for a little extra height, and the handle makes it super portable and easy to move around when they’re getting their teeth brushed. Paint the legs an accent color to make it a little more modern or let the kids make it awesome with their own artwork. (via LWG)
10. Wallpaper Accents: Skip the paint and roll out the wallpaper to make these adorable little stools. Let the kids use them for a while, and when they’re taller, you can use it in the bathroom to keep extra hand towels and a basket of bath bombs near the sink for guests. (via This Little Street)
11. Dining Table Seating: They may not be the most comfortable seats, but it’s nice to have a couple of these stools tucked under your dining table for extra guests. It’s a great option for small-space living when you want to do a little entertaining and don’t have room for a full dining set. (via Deuce Cities Henhouse)
12. DIY Mini Kitchen: Your kids will love making dinner right along with you with this affordable little setup. It’s as simple as painting the steps black, drawing a stovetop and adding a little basket full of dishes. (via IKEA Hackers)
13. DIY Contrasting Side Table: The simple BEKVAM will ensure your bedside table doesn’t get too messy, especially if you throw on a catch-all bowl… or four. The step part of the stool is a great place to store your reading list and the top is just the right size to keep your phone, lamp and a cute plant. (via En Cours de Creation)
14. Living Room Side Table: Need a place to showcase your impressive succulent collection? This stool is just the right height to use as a side table next to the couch and you can easily personalize it to match the color palette of your room. (via The Golden Sycamore)
15. Minimal Bedside Table: We’re not sure how long our side table would look this nice and organized, but the BEKVAM is a great height for a bedside table and it comes at a price that can’t be beat. You could always keep a basket underneath to store your essentials out of sight but within easy reach. (via Casa Del Caso)
16. Breakfast Nook: The BEKVAM is a convenient space to sit, but doesn’t take up as much space as a bench or stools. Then you always have the option to move it around when you’re feeling inspired to see what’s hiding on top of your cabinets. (via In My House)
17. Fold Down Table + Seating: Breakfast nooks are hard to come by when you’re living in a small apartment. DIY your own with a tiny fold-down table and a stool that you can use everywhere in the kitchen and as a breakfast stool. (via Bolig Magasinet)
18. Nursery Stool: IKEA furniture is always a great pick for a nursery because it’s so multi-functional. Use the BEKVAM to reach the top shelf of the closet and then turn it into a craft table or mini reading seat when they get a little bigger. (via Handmade Charlotte)
Are you planning a trip to IKEA yet? Head over to our Pinterest page for decor inspo and lots of IKEA hacks!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.