Has anyone solved the mystery of why nightstands are so expensive? Yes, we need them for keeping all our lotions, books and chargers neatly stored away, but when you have to buy two of them you don’t want to spend an exorbitant amount. IKEA comes to the rescue with their simple and universally appreciated designs that you can take to the next level with the right amount of paint, glue and accessories. Whatever style your room is, we’ve got 21 nightstand hacks that won’t break the bank.
2. Leather and Brass Campaign: Create a unique nightstand by using simple gold pulls and a leather backing for an antique look. Plus, how fabulous is that pale pink paint color? (via Vintage Revivals)
4. Black Accents: While you can’t beat the price of the simple white Malm dressers, they are a bit lacking in character. Dress them up by adding an overlay in a fun accent color for a modern update. (via Mint Love Social Club)
7. Nailhead Dresser: Nailhead furniture looks amazing but can be pretty pricey. Draw your design on some tracing paper and then make tiny holes with an awl so the nails don’t slip when you hammer them in. (via Signed by Tina)
8. Dresser Nightstand: Anyone else keep an unnecessary amount of things by their bed? If you love having extra storage, you can’t go wrong with the IKEA Rast dresser as a nightstand. Paint it in your chosen color and add some golden drawer pulls for extra style points. (via Armelle)
9. Bar Cart: Is there anything the IKEA bar cart can’t do? The multiple tiers means you can have everything you need handy. If you don’t love the idea of all your things on display, use decorative boxes and use the bottom to stack books and magazines. (via Freelancer’s Fashion Blog)
11. Nautical Tones: Cut down the legs on the IKEA dresser to make it the perfect height for your bed and then switch out the wooden knobs for the craziest and coolest handles you can find. (via The World According to Jessica Claire)
13. Silver Washers: This project may look like it requires a professional, but in reality all you need is a good tube of glue. Painted washers create the pretty design on the drawers, and a few extra pieces of wood create that handy little side rack for magazines and books. (via Thistlewood Farms)
14. Two in One: How can you make the IKEA Lack table the right height for a bedside table? Attach one table to the top of another and enjoy all that extra room that comes with a second shelf. (via Remodelaholic)
20. Stand Tall: Add inexpensive legs to an IKEA shelving unit for a side table that’s modern and classic all at the same time. Plus, by adding your own legs you can ensure your table is the right height. (via Sugar and Cloth)
21. Minty Fresh: This dresser satisfies our obsession with all things mint. Adding cain webbing to the front of a solid door creates the illusion of an open space and helps break up the bright color. (via Craft Habit)
Which is your favorite IKEA nightstand? Share your hacking experiences with us in the comments below!