15 IKEA Hacks for the Bookshelf EVERYONE Has
If you’re reading this, you probably have an IKEA Kallax bookcase. How’d we guess? This mini unit is a classic that’s perfect for storing clothes, DIY kitchen utensils or even your December reading list, so no matter what your original purchase intent, it definitely checks all the organizational and storage boxes and still maintains its chic potential. With a few IKEA hacks, your Kallax bookcase can become a real statement piece that’s perfect for any room.
1. Stylish Console: Dress up the Kallax with IKEA’s coordinating doors and drawers — add legs and some bling-ing pieces of hardware for a look that’s as elegant as it is modern. (via Fabric Paper Glue)
2. Bar Cart: Okay, so you went a little crazy buying super cool bar accessories on black Friday. No worries. Take advantage of the open shelving to show it all off and add wheels to the unit for easy entertaining. (via Sugar and Cloth)
3. Sideboard Hack: Open shelves make the Kallax ideal for keeping your stuff together in an otherwise messy craft room. Use baskets and totes as extra storage for the smaller items. (via Sarah Hearts)
4. Dollhouse DIY: Cut up removable wallpaper to make a house outline and use the unit as a dollhouse. And when the doll days are over, you can hack the Kallax back into a bedside table or media unit. (via Mommo Design)
5. KALLAX Shelving Unit Update: If you’re short on room, optimizing your space with tall shelves is the way to go. Invest in the KALLAX shelving unit, then add boxes and drawers so that everything has its place. This particular white + gold color scheme looks clean and clutter-free, but you can easily add color to spice it up. (via Best Friends for Frosting)
6. Kitchen Island: With all the add-ons for the Kallax, you can customize the kitchen island of your dreams. (via Jen Lou Meredith)
7. Teddy Cubby and Reading Corner: Adding a back to the Kallax makes it perfect for storage, and a cushioned top makes it even better for reading before bed. (via Ikea Hackers)
8. Raised Bed Frame With Storage: This raised bedframe not only has space underneath perfect for a bed for your pet, but also works as storage on both sides for clothes, toiletries, and more. While also acting as lifters. (via Ikea Hackers)
More Ideas to Consider:
9. TV Stand: Add legs to get the Kallax unit to bring it to just the right height for watching TV. Wooden inserts in the shelves bring warmth as well as durability. (via Infarrantly Creative)
10. Night Stand: Get creative with your use of bins. The bottom shelves are ideal for storing everything from clothes and accessories to extra linens. (via The Every Girl)
11. Bedside Storage Table: Add legs to the unit to give your Kallax a little extra height and use it as a dressing table or wardrobe. (via Refinery 29)
12. Kid’s Play Room: Big cloth baskets stashed in the bottom shelves make toys easy to access and easy to put away. (via Project Nursery)
13. Living Room Console: Push two Kallax units together to create a whole wall of storage in the living room or dining room. Adding a couple of doors breaks up the modular look and gives you somewhere to hide things you don’t want on display. (via Lisanne van de Klift)
14. Kitchen Cabinet: Open shelving is the perfect option for displaying those perfectly styled bowls and hip coffee supplies. Paint the inside of the shelves and add doors to hide the stuff you don’t want to show off. (via Refinery 29)
15. Media Unit: Rather than just plopping a TV on top of your Kallax shelf, practice your bookcase styling technique in each little cubby with baskets of magazines, books, and records. (via The Everygirl)
How have you hacked the Kallax? Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using hashtag #iamcreative!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)