15 Ways to Layer Clothes Like a Pro, According to Instagram
Spring is fast approaching, but before the warm weather and sunshine settle in, we’ll have to endure a few more weeks of gray skies and frigid temps (don’t worry — you’ll be kickin’ it in a trendy swimsuit soon enough). But it’s not all doom and gloom: Even if you’ve already exhausted your arsenal of go-to winter outfits, there’s still plenty of time to take your cold-weather style to the next level. We’ve dug into the depths of Instagram to bring you 15 fashion-forward looks to help you master the fine art of layering and take your prized puffer coat out for one final hurrah.
1. Sheer and Chic: From the streets of Copenhagen to Paris’s chicest quartiers, dress-over-pants ensembles have been turning up everywhere. While some might call the look fussy, we’re right there with Top Model Scandanavia host Janka Polliani in our devotion to the runway-inspired style move — especially when bold color and ruffle-trimmed detailing are involved. Polliani kept the getup from venturing into frumptastic-territory (so key) with a daring plunge neckline over a sheer turtleneck.
2. Athleisure Edge: Aleali May knows how to get those double taps with her nonstop supply of cool-girl athleisure looks that are jam-packed with edgy urban glamour. The image consultant and blogger made winter dressing feel seriously chic for NYFW with a tie-dyed sweatshirt, leather, and shearling coat with lace-up combat boots.
3. Proportion Play: Nina Schwichtenberg of Fashiioncarpet played with texture and proportion on the streets of NYC to create a look that is straight-up goals. A utility jacket and pearl-embellished denim are undeniably laid-back, while a ladylike lace blouse and longline sleeveless blazer bring the look a refined feel. Consider it proof that you don’t have to bulk up to combat winter temps.
4. Long Layers: Keeping cozy at the office is about to get a whole lot, well, cooler. Veras founder Rebecca Vera Stahnke gave us reason to ditch standard off-duty separates in favor of a swishy maxi skirt and belted slouchy sweater that would slay at both Sunday morning brunch and a midweek brainstorming sesh.
5. Socks That Slay: Subtle? Not exactly, but that’s exactly why this striking getup grabbed our attention. Rule number one of street style-approved cool-weather dressing is to bust out your loudest and proudest faux fur coat, but coming in at a close second is a bit of socks-and-statement-sandal play.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Daniel Bruno Grandl (@theurbanspotter) on
6. Color-Block Shawl: When in doubt, reach for your boldest and brightest scarf to keep tried-and-true toppers feeling fierce and fresh. Net-a-Porter fashion director Lisa Aiken did just that during NYFW, layering a color-blocked oversized shawl over a classic leather jacket and cropped jeans.
7. Puffer Power: If 2017 has taught us anything, it’s that puffers are practically the new leather jacket (well, almost). Just about every editor, It-girl, and model was snapped rockin’ one of these oversized numbers this winter — and with good reason. They combat the cold like none other, and a new crop of cutting-edge designs has made the once un-chic piece of outerwear a street-style star in its own right. We love oversized styles layered over sophisticated pieces such as ethereal maxi dresses or slouchy turtleneck sweaters.
8. Shrug It Off: Austrian blogger babe Carola Pojer has the perfect solution for all those off-the-shoulder tops left to lay dormant in your closet until warmer weather arrives. Simply layer them over a long or short sleeve tee (depending on what the mercury reads). For added visual intrigue (and another layer of warmth), toss a sleek blazer or embellished jacket into the mix.
9. Dress-Over-Pants Redux: Much like Janka Polliani, Hanna Stefansson is also a fan of the whole dress-over-denim thing. The creative consultant and blogger jazzed up a pair of relaxed-fit jeans with a red-hot midi dress and cobalt coat — a combo that combats wintertime wardrobe blahs like a boss. A boxy belted bag and white ankle boots add the slightest hint of retro flair to the look.
View this post on Instagram
Just a few of my delightly funny, smart, successful, gorgeous gal pals... If you dont love them already go have a stalk and look at all the wonderful projects they work on and the fabulous content they create! Big love to you all, @louiseroe @margoandme @zanitazanita ❤ Thanks for some fab times in NY! #NadiaInNewYork
A post shared by NADIA FAIRFAX (@nadiafairfax) on
10. Weatherproof Faux Jumpsuit: Sick of your standard sweater and vintage denim uniform? Break the mold by channeling Nadia Fairfax’s daring layered look. Grab a bright knit top and tuck it into a strapless dress worn over statement trousers. The result is a layered look that is anything but ordinary.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by ZINA (@zinafashionvibe) on
11. Snow Queen Chic: Who knew wearing all white could feel this effortless? Stylist Zina Charkoplia uses oversized pieces, a palette of off-white and cream hues, and varying textures to create a comfy mid-winter ensemble that would be just as on-point for dinner and drinks at a swanky mountaintop lodge as it would for a night in snuggled up by the fire.
12. Defined Off-Duty: Details, details, details. The smallest additions are what make Camila Coelho’s low-key outfit a street-style hit. Fishnets sneakily peek out from behind distressed jeans, lending a note of grunge-goddess glam to the soft silhouette of the oversized sweat. And keeping the look from venturing into the realm of sloppy is a game-changing belt that defines the waist and streamlines the ensemble.
13. Off-the-Shoulder Outerwear: This styling hack can be done in a snap, and girl, it makes a major difference. Follow Eva Chen’s lead and create an off-the-shoulder silhouette with your coat, letting a chunky knit or bohemian blouse show through.
14. Orange You Glad: Frigid temps and gray skies don’t have anything on Marianne Theodorsen’s bright orange ensemble. Consider it insurance against bad vibes and mid-winter style ruts. What keeps the black and orange color scheme from feeling All-Hallow’s-Eve is the printed jacket and graphic tee that lie beneath the main topper.
15. Revealing Layers: This boy-meets-girl and East-meets-West ensemble begs for you to peel back the layers. Each element of the look reveals a different aesthetic: The fluffy fur coat and satin kimono jacket exude elegant old-world appeal, a slinky lace-trimmed cami is both sweet and sexy, and cropped jeans and skater shoes are all about keepin’ it real.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)