This Is What You Should (and Shouldn’t) Be Wearing to Nail That Big Interview
There’s probably nothing more exciting (or nerve-wracking, for that matter) than scoring an interview for your dream job — you go, girl! Your stellar resume (which boasts some seriously amazing summer internships — just sayin’) will no doubt give you an edge over the competition, but what will really win ‘em over is a little confidence. Of course, that’s easier said than done. Interviews can sometimes feel like you’re standing on trial with question after excruciating question being thrown your way. It’s enough to send anyone’s nerves into overdrive. Luckily, it’s nothing a little sartorial intervention can’t fix. You know — the whole dress to impress thing. To help you find your way around the in’s and out’s of interview dressing, we’ve pulled together 15 work wardrobe essentials — sleek skirts, fancy flats and stylish jackets with go-get-‘em appeal — that will help you look the part and put those OMG-what-am-I-doing freakout sessions to rest.
1. C/meo Collective Charged Up Skirt ($190): No work wardrobe is complete without at least one office-ready pencil skirt on hand. A classy alternative to the expected shift dress or pants, a pencil skirt has a fierce, feminine aesthetic that exudes don’t-mess vibes. Skip figure-hugging styles that have the potential to ride up (you don’t want to spend the entire interview adjusting your getup), and ensure the hemline is at an office-appropriate length. If you’re set on showing off some personality (and heck yes, you should!), look to unique embellishments, like these geo numbers, to add visual intrigue in a subtle, unobtrusive way.
2. Express Edition Drapey Boyfriend Blazer ($198): When in doubt, bring a blazer. A sleek, well-fitted blazer can transform even the most basic closet essentials into an ensemble worthy of the corporate world in a snap. Clean lines and proper sleeve length are key to achieving a put-together aesthetic. Layer one over a streamlined shift dress, or team it with belted high-waisted trousers, a silk blouse and stylish pointed-toe flats.
3. J.Crew Colorful Crystal Foliage Necklace ($128): Accessories are a great way to showcase that killer sense of style, but you definitely don’t want to go overboard. Stick with smaller gems that will elevate your outfit by adding just a hint of sparkle or a pop of color without totally stealing the show. You want your potential employer to focus on what you have to say — not be distracted by over-the-top bling around your neck. In the same vein, leave the bangles or jangly jewelry at home.
4. Reiss Lily Printed Blouse ($230): Why stick with white button downs when you can rock a printed blouse instead? Delivering all the polish of a standard white collared shirt, but with a whole lot more personality, this tonal floral top is guaranteed to go over big with your boss-to-be. Wear it with tailored ankle trousers, sharp-looking loafers and a smart jacket for a flawless working-girl effect.
5. The Horse Classic Rose Gold & Grey ($165): Dressing to impress becomes practically pointless if you show up to your interview late. This sleek rose gold timepiece won’t just keep you on your toes — it’ll instantly infuse your on-the-job ensemble with an It-girl-approved edge.
6. & Other Stories Tailored Lyocell Trousers ($115): Fuss-free and fierce, a pair of tailored, neutral-colored trousers is always a foolproof option. To reach peak polish, avoid too-tight trousers (which can be incredibly uncomfortable and come off as unprofessional) and ensure the hem comes off the ground about a quarter to a half inch when you’re wearing heels — dragging, pooling hems can look seriously sloppy. Style them alongside a sophisticated printed blouse, block heel pumps and minimalist jewelry for an effortless look that nails it every time.
7. Mango Saffiano-Effect Tote Bag ($80): Coming prepared is a whole lot easier when you have a chic tote in tow. Ditch the bright crossbody for this structured buckle tote that has plenty of room for all your interview essentials: a notebook, pens, your portfolio, copies of your resume and a freshening-up kit that will send those last-minute jitters packin’.
8. Kenzo Zig Zag Embroidered Dress ($646): Plan on rockin’ a frock? Neutral tones like black and navy are the way to go — they’re professional and timeless. For a more modern edge, opt for an eye-catching print (skip the polka dots) or graphic detailing that will set you apart from the rest. If you’re taking this route, choose classic silhouettes that strike the right balance of elegance and contemporary cool. Avoid loud colors or overly out-there prints that might be distracting or feel out of place.
9. Equipment Adalyn Printed Silk-Twill Shirt ($270): Unless you’re applying for a position in a corporate setting, you don’t need to suit up, but you don’t want to look messy either. A jazzed up button-down will certainly do the trick, especially when paired with a sharp pencil skirt and (comfortable) don’t-mess heels. Plus, you can easily mix and match it with the rest of your wardrobe. Boyfriend jeans and lace-up ballet flats, anyone?
10. Zara Medium Heel Pointed Shoes ($30): On the shoe front, a pair of navy, nude or black heels — or any structured steppers for that matter — is a flat-out foolproof option. These no-frills pumps offer just the right amount of lift, keeping you feeling grounded and confident, no matter what questions come your way. If you go for a pair of peep-toes, make sure your toes are looking their best — hit the nail salon before heading through the office door.
11. Ann Taylor Multi Stripe Wide Leg Crop Pants ($98): Sticking with the essentials is certainly safe — and won’t draw any inquisitive looks from HR or your potential future employer — but they won’t give you the opportunity to show off your creative side or personality either. To land a job in the arts, elect unexpected silhouettes and subtle-yet-funky prints that push the envelope without going overboard. Style these striped stunners with a bow neck blouse, block heels and asymmetric drop earrings for an ensemble that is polished and totally you.
12. Zara Embroidered Jacket ($169): And speaking of personality… A blazer isn’t the only way to layer in style. Seemingly glamorous gigs call for threads with a bit of extra oomph. A feminine blouse will give this clean-cut embellished jacket a put-together vibe, especially when teamed with elevated culottes or refined dress trousers. Boost your getup in seconds with muted metallic pumps or a platform heel that toes the line between traditional and cutting edge.
13. Whistles Jade Wrap Over Dress ($270): Sophisticated doesn’t have to mean snoozy. Show off that incredible attention to detail by sporting a classic wrap dress with unique circle fastenings and an asymmetric hem that exudes RN vibes. Pair with new-age Mary Janes and statement stud earrings for a sleek, so-easy look that just might become your interview signature.
14. Topshop “Jinx” Mary Jane Pointy Toe Pump ($85): Who needs a power suit when you have a pair of hot steppers like these on hand? Blow the competition out of the water by strutting into the boardroom with these bad boys in tow, along with a pretty patterned blouse, pencil skirt and a briefcase-inspired satchel.
15. Iris and Ink Claudia Pussy-Bow Silk-Chiffon Blouse ($165): Fake it ’til you make it with a billowy blouse that is equal parts girlboss and fashionable femme. Bust it out with an updated take on the traditional suit, styling it with silk jogger-inspired trousers, a streamlined jacket and statement accessories that are just as sleek as they are show-stopping.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.