This Celeb Stylist’s Drugstore Hair Hack Will Save You Serious Cash
When you’re at the salon, you can always count on your stylist to advise you on new hair products. After all, their job is to take care of your mane, and quality products are a major part of maintenance. But while you might *want* to drop major dough on a new haircare regimen, your bank account probably has other thoughts on the matter. Now, thanks to celeb stylist Jen Atkin’s hair product hack, you can splurge and still save some serious cash.
Jen Atkin is the hair guru responsible for the manes of many of your favorite Hollywood celebrities, including Jenna Dewan-Tatum’s perfect a-line bob and Cara Delevingne’s chic style at the Australian premiere of Paper Towns.
Perhaps the most well-known celebs to grace her chair are the members of the entire Kardashian/Jenner clan. Kylie, Khloe and Kim have all had their tresses cared for by Atkin, and they have the gorgeous locks to prove it.
Atkin spoke with Elle about her fabulous hair care tips, and she revealed that it’s totally okay to mix your drugstore mousse with a high-end conditioner. In the interview, Atkin admits that her bathroom, much like her style, is a mixed bag of products. When asked whether hair care needs to cost a fortune, she dropped a truth bomb: “Not exactly. My closet is half Celine and half Zara. The same is probably true with my bathroom; it’s half drugstore products and half high-end ones. Areas you can skimp are on mousse and shampoo — clients with oily hair can do drugstore shampoo easily.”
Whether you’re looking for the perfect way to get your hair to hold or you’re trying to achieve voluminous waves, we’ve got some great high-end and drug store products that will keep your locks happy.
Drugstore Hair Products
1. Tresemme Color Revitalize Protection Shampoo ($4): This shampoo is one of TotalBeauty.com’s best shampoos for color-treated hair. It’s got the power to deep clean your hair without stripping the color.
2. Pantene Pro-V Classic Clean Shampoo ($6): It’s hard to go wrong with such a classic brand. Pantene Classic Clean is the perfect everyday choice for ladies without color-treated hair. The shampoo is totally gentle, and its scent game is on point.
3. Herbal Essences Set Me Up Mousse ($3): This magic product has a cult beauty following thanks to its firm hold. You can count on this product to lock in natural curls and achieve epic volume.
4. Tresemme Climate-Control Protection Mousse ($4): Tresemme’s mousse will keep your hair smooth and held in place even with the most humid of weather.
High-End Hair Care Products
While Atkin does advocate for the use of drugstore products, she’s also willing to admit that there are times when a high-end brand or tool might be the better choice. She says, “With conditioners and hair tools, it’s best to spend the money. But the number one thing you can do is not cut your hair as often.” Basically, while you may be spending a bit more cash on conditioner and styling tools, these high-end products are going to keep you from heading to the salon every few weeks, bringing in more savings. Scroll on for a few of our fave high-end hair product products and tools.
1. Aveda Damage Remedy Restructuring Conditioner ($29): It’s hard to go wrong with an Aveda product. This everyday conditioner with quinoa protein is going to strengthen damaged hair and help you extend the amount of time between trips to the salon.
2. Pureology Hydrate Conditioner ($56): This is incredible for ladies with dry or dyed hair. The brand is known for their sulfate-free products, so if you’ve got color, the conditioner is totally worth the splurge.
3. T3 Featherweight Blow Dryer ($200): Here’s a purchase you’ll need to start saving for now, but it’s Atkin’s recommended dryer. In an interview with Beauty Editor, Atkin named the dryer as the one that’s always in her bag. Perfect for girls on the go, the ion technology allows the air to dry large sections of hair quickly.
4. The Ghd Classic 1″ Styler ($185): Chi’s small iron allows for maximum control over styling. Think of this purchase as an investment — this will seriously last you forever.
What are your favorite drugstore and high-end hair care products? Let us know in the comments below!
(Photos via @jenatkinhair, Robin Marchant, Todd Oren and Lisa Maree Williams/Getty)