Shoes have been all over the map already this fall — woven, velvet, boots and more. But with all these options, it can be kind of confusing to know what to wear, especially when it comes to that in-between time before it becomes completely unacceptable to expose your ankles.
Supermodel Karlie Kloss has the tried-and-true answer in the form of the basic bow ballet flat she ‘grammed recently, proving that, when in doubt, reach for your preppy staple. Her white pair is gorgeous, but if you’re looking for a colorful and whimsical upgrade, we’ve got you covered with these 14 options.
1. Kate Spade Willa Skimmers ($198): Kate Spade, glitter and flats — it all makes perfect sense. Bust these out for your holiday parties, but also keep them in mind for simple neutral office outfits for an easy upgrade.
2. Ellen Degeneres Langston Flats ($90): Ellen’s might not have bows on them, but they’re just as darling with the words “love” emblazoned across them.
3. Patricia Green Audrey Flats ($113): If you’re looking to be a little subversive without totally offending your more conservative office, try these navy faux skin printed flats.
4. Miss KG Meena Flats ($49): Don’t they look like Chanel? These cap-toed beauties will get you through fall easily, and can be worn with black opaque tights into winter.
5. J. Renee Eaden Bow Flat ($100): Stay true to preppy roots with this plaid version, which would look great with everything from a navy A-line dress to an all black cocktail outfit.
6. Vibrant Velvet Ballet Pumps ($26): The closest thing to actual ballerina shoes, these pink velvet pretties are great for just puttering around the house or a night on the town.
7. J.Crew Kiki Ballet Flats ($168): Print explosion for your pampered feet! They’re the perfect addition to a jeans and button-down look.
8. Peppy Panache Flats ($35): If you’re less bow, more experimental, get your paws on these pom-pom flats for a nice alternative.
9. Restricted Scalloped Flat ($45): The scalloped look will never go out of style, and it looks even cooler in this bright cobalt color. It would be a great complement to a Canadian tuxedo (AKA all denim outfit).
10. Sam Edelman Felicia Ballet Flats ($100): Floral never goes out of style, so why not try it on your feet? Sam Edelman flats are known as being some of the most comfortable around, so it’s nearly guaranteed these will be super comfortable.
11. Ted Baker Immey Bow Flats ($79): Wear these light and bright floral flats now with light-wash denim and a pretty pastel cable knit sweater, and then pack them away for use in spring.
12. Paul Mayer Brighton Bow Flats ($225): Here’s an interesting take on the classic French cap toe version, but in a fall-approved color palette that will complement your ‘70s-inspired looks.
13. Pretty Ballerinas Rosario Bow Flats ($209): A little nautical, a lot of personality — these flats are the kind you can wear year-round with nearly every neutral piece of clothing you have, including gray and navy dresses with black opaque tights.
14. Yosi Samra Sandrine Flat ($96): These bad boys fold up, making them easy to take on the go for any time you get tired of standing on those darn heels all day!
Look for more outfit inspo over at Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Feature photo via Pascal Le Segretain / Getty)