Pinterest’s Top Keto Recipe Tastes Like Cheesy Garlic Bread, So Rejoice
Have you ever wondered how those insanely popular pinned recipes on Pinterest actually taste? Us too, which is why we’ve started a new series, Pin to Plate. We’re interviewing the blogger, testing out those recipes in-house, photographing our results, and sharing our experience. #PinFails, you’ve become a thing of the past.
If you’ve turned keto, chances are you’ve scoured Pinterest to find some recipe ideas, especially for all the carb-loaded things you’re craving. If cheesy garlic bread happens to be the hankering du jour, then you’ll be pleased to know that this recipe (the *most* saved of all keto recipes on Pinterest) has all the flavors of the American-Italian staple but none of the net carbs. Cheesy garlic roasted asparagus has captured the hearts of Pinners everywhere, because it “tastes just like garlic bread… except on veggies,” Karina Carrel, the blogger of Cafe Delites swears.
We asked her in an email interview if she could tell us what inspired the low-carb, cheese-tastic recipe. “Trying to find something my family can enjoy with me while I follow a low-carb diet can be stressful,” she says. “I’m always trying out new ways to sneak vegetables into our diet and need to make them delicious so nothing goes to waste.” (She’s not alone in that never-ending search!)
We put it to the test and can affirm it delivers: even veg-haters in our office scooped up a second helping. We made only one slight adjustment to Carrel’s recipe. Instead of roasting the asparagus for 15 minutes, then topping with mozzarella and broiling for 5 minutes, we put the cheese on the raw vegetables (because #lazy), roasted it for 15 minutes, then cranked up the heat for the last few minutes of cooking. Either method you choose, your tastebuds will do a happy dance.
Cheesy Garlic Roasted Asparagus
(Serves 4-6 people)
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound asparagus spears, woody ends removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or 4 cloves garlic, minced)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking oil spray.
2. Arrange asparagus on baking sheet. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl mix together olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
4. Drizzle the oil mixture over the asparagus and toss to evenly coat.
5. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes until vibrant and just beginning to get tender. Then broil until the cheese becomes golden (about 4-5 minutes).
6. Adjust salt and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately.
Find Brit + Co on Pinterest for more fab side dish ideas.