Not Your Grandma’s Latkes: 30 Modern Latke Recipes
Whether or not you celebrate Hanukkah, you’ll love this fantastic roundup of latke recipes — everything from traditional potato pancakes topped with smoked salmon and caviar to sandwiches assembled with latke “buns” and leftover Thanksgivukkah trimmings to sweet latkes that are just as good for dessert as they are breakfast is covered here! Looking for a fritter with some California flair? Be sure to check out our recipe for avocado latke grilled cheese.
Fried foods can be a bit tricky in terms of finding the perfect wine pairing, so you may find yourself in need of a little help with the selection process. This guide will steer you in the right direction every time — and truly, you cannot go wrong with a bottle of brut bubbly!
1. Potato Latkes with Smoked Salmon, Caviar, and Tarragon Crème Fraîche: It doesn’t get much more classic than this combination! Thin slices of smoked salmon top traditional potato pancakes along with herbed crème fraîche and rich caviar. (via Bon Appétit)
3. Confetti Latkes with Harissa Sour Cream: Chockfull of root vegetables — kohlrabi, carrots and beets, along with their greens — these colorful, potato-free pancakes are served with a spicy harissa sour cream, a perfect complement to the earthy latke flavors. (via Busy and Brooklyn)
4. Latke-Crusted Turkey Stuffing Fritters With Liquid Cranberry Core and Schmaltz Gravy: Save some leftover stuffing to make these molten cranberry sauce-filled fritters enveloped with an outer layer of crisp potato latke. Turkey comes into play with the homemade schmaltz gravy in this clever fusion. Mr. Schweddy would totally endorse these balls. (via Serious Eats)
6. Brussels Sprouts Latkes: Shredded potato, Brussels sprouts, onions and crisped
bacon Facon — beef bacon for the uninitiated — get an added flavor boost by frying in schmaltz (chicken fat)! (via Kitchen Tested)
7. Eggs Benedict on a Latke: Pretty sure this should be the default way for eggs Benedict to be served — latkes stand in for English muffins, and smoked salmon for Canadian bacon in this innovation variation! This recipe guides you through all the tricky parts — making homemade hollandaise and perfectly poached eggs — so its perfect for beginners. (via Many Kitchens)
9. Variegated Spiced Latkes: Freshly grated ginger, ground fennel seed and pepper add terrific, warming flavors to these sweet-potato-parsnip-onion-potato latkes. A mere sprinkle of salt is the only finishing touch needed to make these fritters shine. (via Food52)
10. Zucchini Latkes: Cajun seasoning gives these five-ingredient zucchini latkes a bit of welcome kick. For serving, Greek yogurt stands in for the usual sour cream or crème fraîche. (via Joy of Kosher)
11. Cheese Latkes: While potato latkes are usually the first type that come to mind when the L-word is uttered, this cheesy rendition come closest to the original version, a spinoff on Italian ricotta cheese pancakes. Across between a cheese blintz and fried pancake, these are sure to be just as popular as their potato-based counterparts. (via PBS)
12. Cauliflower, Onion and Potato Latkes: Lightened up with just a touch of cauliflower, you’ll love this healthier potato pancake rendition. (Psst, the ingredients can be found on the hand-written placard photographed in the top left corner after the jump.) (via The Forest Feast)
14. Potato and Zucchini Latke Waffles: How great are these latkes? No need to stand over a splattering pan of oil on the stove to get crisp latkes, these cook up just as nicely in your waffle iron! (via More Than Burnt Toast)
15. Curried Sweet Potato Latkes: Mmm, these highly-seasoned sweet potato latkes are lent a cooling touch from a dollop of sour cream. For an added layer of flavor, try these with a pinch of garam masala sprinkled over top just before serving. (via Babble)
16. Savory Sweet + Russet Potato Thanksgivukkah Sandwich: Here we have a sweet potato-potato latke topped with a few leaves of lettuce, roasted turkey tenderloin, gravy, stuffing, cranberry aioli and another latke. Ah-maze-ing. But wait, there’s more! Another latke sandwich recipe — this time for dessert — is included further along in the post. How does a cinnamon sweet potato and apple latke sandwich with chocolate gelt and coconut milk whipped cream sound? (via Jewhungry)
17. Apple-Cheddar Latkes: The cheddar cheese in these does a beautiful, beautiful thing when it hits the frying pan — can you just taste the crispy, golden crust on these babies? A terrific, savory recipe for fans of apple pie made with a slice of melted cheddar on top. (via A Cozy Kitchen)
18. Potato, Sweet Potato and Granny Smith Latkes with Salsa Macha and Fennel-Lime Crema: Latkes get a Mexican spin in this recipe.
Topped with a nutty chipotle salsa and fresh fennel sour cream, they have the perfect balance of spicy and cooling elements going on. (via Patti’s Mexican Table)
19. Big Breakfast Latkes: Deb over at Smitten Kitchen knows her way around latkes; in this recipe she shares her secrets for making perfectly crisp potato pancakes every time. There’s a simple sort of elegance going on here, the big latke base is perfectly sized for the fried egg on top. (via Smitten Kitchen and NPR)
20. Celery Root Latkes with Pastrami: Traditionalists will forgive you for forgoing the rye bread when they taste this combination, especially if you make your own pastrami from scratch (DIY instructions are included!). (via Chow)
21. Sweet Potato Latkes with Brown Sugar Syrup & Candied Pecans: Just a touch of curry powder and cayenne, in the latkes and candied pecans respectively, gives this sweet latke recipe a bit of savory balance. Try these for dessert or breakfast! (via The Shiksa in the Kitchen)
22. Parsnip Pancakes with Caramelized Onions and Sour Cream: A great recipe for fans of onions. Leeks and caramelized onions team up with parsnips to create a perfect accompaniment for roasted meats. (via Fine Cooking)
23. Modernist Latkes: No shredded potatoes here, these creamy-crunchy latkes can even be made (mostly) ahead of time and frozen. The secret to their foolproof, crisp crust? Potato starch and instant potato flakes! (via Saveur)
24. Chipotle Cheddar Potato Latkes: Spreading these cheddar-potato pancakes out relatively thinly gives you a fantastic appetizer that’s sort of a fusion between lacy cheese crisps and latkes. (via Half Baked Harvest)
25. Persimmon Latkes: Fuyu persimmons (the squat variety) add an unusual, delicate flavor to potato latkes to create a fritter like none other. Put them to use to create a Thanksgivukkah Double Down. (via Food52)
26. Butternut Squash and Leek Latkes with Pan-roasted Cumin: A generous amount of toasted cumin seeds lends these latkes a nutty pepperiness which plays nicely with the citrusy cilantro garnish. (via Food and Style)
27. Potato Latkes (Vegan): Using vegan mayo in place of eggs in this latke recipe ensures the pancakes stay together while getting the desirable, crisp, golden brown crust. (via May I Have That Recipe?)
28. Latkes with Three Sweet Sauces (Gluten-free): Potato starch stands in for the usual flour in these gluten-free latkes. All three of the homemade sweet toppings — cranberry sauce with maple and hazelnuts; apple butter with cider, honey and cardamom; salted caramel pear jam — sound fantastic to boot! (via Pim Pauline)
29. Scallops with Potato Pancakes and Cavier Sauce: Talk about indulgent, this luxurious take on latkes is anything but traditional — a perfect hors d’oeuvre for New Year’s Eve paired with a glass of bubbly! (via Food & Wine)
30. Small Latkes, Big Toppings: Here you’ll find five terrific topping combinations to make perfect hors d’oeuvers for your next party. Use this guide to making lakes without a recipe as a base for making these bite-size latkes all your own! (via The New York Times)
We sure can’t wait to try some of the new twists and toppings here! Are you totally inspired to grab your griddle and get frying? Tell us about your favorite fritter — and spill any pro-tips, please — in the comments!