Nope, those aren’t tomatoes. Chances are you’ve seen these Fuyu persimmons at the farmer’s market recently! Persimmons are somewhat unknown at this point, but they’re definitely become more popular, with good reason–they’re absolutely delicious! Persimmons are what I’d consider “delicately” sweet, meaning that their fruity flavor can still be paired with savory flavors. Lucky for us, this fruit is in season every fall and winter, so get ahead of the game and try out some of these delectable dishes!
2. Persimmon Ginger Fizz: This drink is great for the adults at your holiday party, but the alcohol could easily be swapped out for ginger ale for the kiddies. It’s made with SNAP, a spirit from Art in the Age. (via Unruly Things)
3. Spiced Persimmon Turmeric Tea: Who doesn’t love a nice warm cup of tea in the midst of winter? Not only is it delicious, it also contains a ton of healthy ingredients like ginger and black pepper. (via Gourmande in the Kitchen)
6. Persimmon, Pomegranate, & Ricotta Salad: Indulge in all your favorite foods in this delicious and healthy salad! I absolutely love any salad that mixes it up by using spinach instead of lettuce. (via What’s Gaby Cooking)
7. Honey Crisp, Kale, & Persimmon Salad: The name of this dish almost has all the ingredients in it! With the kale craze going on, this is a perfect way to get your extra serving of iron. (via In Pursuit of More)
9. Fancy Persimmon Grilled Cheese: This sandwich takes the traditional grilled cheese to a whole new level. Goat cheese? Prosciutto? It’s like eating at a gourmet restaurant in your own kitchen. (via A Girl Defloured)
10. Autumn Persimmon Arugula Pasta: I’ve often found myself hesitant to use arugula due to its bitterness, but the persimmon would add a fresh flavor to balance the dish out! (via The Little Epicurean)
11. Garlic & Rosemary Roasted Shrimp Skewers: Food on a stick is ten times more fun to eat! I filed these under main courses since they’d pair well with a pasta dish, but you could definitely serve these as an appetizer as well. (via Kalyn’s Kitchen)
13. Roasted Persimmon & Coconut Quinoa Porridge: Quinoa’s another popular item that I’ve seen pop up a lot in the foodie community lately. So what’s a better way to try out persimmons than with another new food? (via Perpetually Chic)
15. Persimmon and Sage Stuffing: Stuffing is definitely a dish on its own. It’s almost all I eat at every major holiday dinner. So why not freshen this special food up with some bright persimmon? (via PBS Food)
17. Persimmon Cardamom Honey Ice Cream: For all of you out there with an ice cream machine, I’d highly recommend trying out this recipe! Honestly, it seems like persimmons pair perfectly with all kinds of spices. (via Daisy’s World)
20. Persimmon Cupcakes: What recipe list (or celebration, for that matter) is complete without a cupcake? That’s right–you can even make frosting out of persimmons! What a wonder fruit. (via Cupcake Project)
Which recipe would you try out for the holidays? Let us know in the comments section below!