The only thing better than a well-loved knit sweater is a wear-everywhere sweater dress (a one-piece wonder, if you will) that can be tossed on with zero effort once the temps take a dive. Lazy girls will flock to the non-fussy silhouette, busy girls will fall for the throw-on-and-go potential and fashion girls will be sold on the RN appeal. Because when it’s cold AF and you’re scrambling to find something to wear, you’ve just gotta make due with what you’ve got. Just as you would reach for a slew of longline coats and essential winter hats without hesitation, it won’t be long now before a sweater dress is your new pièce de resistance. Stay toasty this winter with these 20 versatile sweater dresses that you won’t want to take off.
1. Free People Hot Cocoa Mini Dress ($128): What to wear when sipping hot cocoa by the fire? We thought you’d never ask. Be it Christmas Eve or a weekend getaway to your family’s cabin, this seasonal sweater dress will fit the bill for a number of occasions. As long as shearling-lined moccasin slippers and a faux fur trapper hat are in the equation, you’ll be golden.
2. Madewell Button-Back Sweater-Dress in Donegal Grey ($118): Made to be admired from the front and the back (check out those buttons!), this lust-worthy gray marled sweater dress is what cozy girl dreams are made of. For maximum impact, layer it over a chambray shirt and slip on some suede ankle boots with your fave printed socks peeking out.
3. Free People Babette Mini Sweater Dress ($168): Just like you would rather call in sick before leaving the comfort of your bed on Monday morning, this chic striped sweater dress with boho flair is making adulting in “real clothes” easy breezy. Did we mention it has pockets and a removable slip? TBH we’d rather just Netflix and chill in our new cozy knit sweater dress.
4. ASOS Sweater Dress With Funnel Neck and Tipping ($49): Did someone say chic? We’re smitten with this navy funnel neck sweater dress featuring collegiate stripes that requires ZERO effort — give or take a leather bucket bag and some old-school Adidas Gazelle sneakers. Hitting right above the knee, it’s a certified crowd pleaser that will serve you well time and time again.
5. Pixie Market Black Side Zipper Sweater Dress ($132): No more excuses! Here’s your chance to test-drive the whole dresses-over-pants look that’s quickly gaining traction among the fashionable crowd. This black maxi sweater dress with side zips can be tossed right over a pair of straight leg jeans and ugly-pretty glove shoes for a trendy look that slays on and off the streets.
6. ASOS Midi Sweater Dress in Wool Mix Yarn ($64): This wool sweater dress is as streamlined as it gets. Designed to cover (almost) every inch of your body, it’s guaranteed to keep the nippy temps at bay. For an Instagram-approved look that works its magic around the clock, don’t hesitate to toss on a leather moto jacket and some Stan Smiths.
7. French Connection 45 Degree Rib Knit Dress ($128): Obsessed doesn’t even begin to describe our love affair with this charming collared jumper dress that would do the Brits proud. Not only will it pass for your nine-to-five with that pinstriped collar, but it’s sophisticated enough for meeting your S.O.’s parents over the holidays. First impressions are everything.
8. Express Fold-Over Ruched Midi Sweater Dress ($80): Getting all gussied up for date night in the dead of winter comes with its own set of hurdles. Should you layer your go-to velvet slip dress over a turtleneck, ignore the impending cold front altogether or come armed in layers? Channel your inner vixen with this off-the-shoulder midi sweater dress that’s ready for a night of wining, dining and dancing. All that’s missing is a set of chandelier statement earrings and some towering platforms for a red carpet-ready getup.
9. H&M Sweatshirt Dress ($30): You had us at sweatshirt. Nothing warms our heart more than the thought of slipping into a big comfy sweatshirt dress. Complete with alternative lacing on the side and raw-edge cuffs, this wardrobe workhorse will make you look (and feel) like a boss. Metallic ankle boots and a tattoo choker will be in order.
10. Zara Oversized Sweater ($40): If by oversized, you mean delightfully slouchy and model-off-duty-approved then by all means step this way. For a grunge-inspired getup with evergreen appeal, slip this cold-shoulder number on with fishnet tights and combat boots. We’ll leave the hipster beanie up to you.
11. ASOS Voided Sweater Dress in Maxi Shape ($61): Proof that minimalism is not dead, this sporty sweater dress is what you toss on when the forecast reads bleak AF. It’s a good thing athleisure is having a moment — a pair of slush-proof snow boots and a quilted down parka will have you ready to conquer the beast known as Old Man Winter.
12. Mango Jersey Bodycon Dress ($60): Nine-to-five dressing doesn’t have to be a snooze. This HR-approved cable knit bodycon dress in an autumnal burnt orange hue would be perfectly acceptable for an afternoon of back-to-back boardroom meetings or a post-work happy hour. Complete the look with a statement trench and power pumps for a low-maintenance uniform.
13. Free People Northern Lights Sweater Dress ($168): A glamping trip up north calls for a cozy woven knit sweater dress that plays well with military-inspired anoraks, moto boots and pom-pom-topped hats. Even if you just take a quick wintry dip in the snow (any longer and you will freeze your butt off), this homespun knit is the epitome of winter wonderland fun.
14. Missguided Grey Badge Sweater Dress ($45): Rad girls, we haven’t forgotten about you. This gray badge sweater dress is a testament to your ‘90s babe ways. Gear up for a low-key hang sesh with your squad by teaming it with a denim jacket, a downtown-bound beanie and Doc Martens.
15. Topshop Ribbed Sweater Dress ($68): We’ll be the first to admit this mini chunky knit sweater dress (as cute as it may be) won’t be doing much to shield you from the potentially distressing temps to come. But we simply couldn’t pass up on the festive cherry red hue that brings some serious fa-la-las. For an athleisure look, toss this bad boy on alongside white tennies and a quilted bomber, keeping in mind that a plush red Santa hat may be in order come Christmas Eve.
16. Moon River Lace-Up Sweater Dress ($80): What to wear when out with friends partying it up into the wee hours of the morning? All signs point to this oversized sweater dress that gives off just the right amount of sexy for a spur of the moment bar crawl or a celebratory GNO. When lace-up ghillies are out of the question, a pair of suede OTK boots will hold you down on the style front and block out a brutal windchill (although tights are definitely still recommended).
17. Forever 21 Fuzzy No Filter Graphic Dress ($30): Bring on the DGAF vibes with this #nofilter graphic dress. Practically designed with the Kardashians in mind, it’s guaranteed to catch the attention of passersby. Pull out all the stops by styling it with come-hither stiletto ankle boots and a millennial pink faux fur topper.
18. I Love Friday Sweater Dress With Pleated Floral Skirt and Contrasting Tipping ($76): Between the rich mustard hue and the pleated floral hem, this dreamy sweater dress was made for self-proclaimed girly girls who march to the beat of their own drum. The contrasting stripe trim and free-wheeling silhouette bring you one totally knockout look.
19. Silence + Noise Fuzzy Off-the-Shoulder Sweater Mini Dress ($89): We’re all about that trying, but not trying too hard vibe that all the cool girls seem to have down these days. There’s nothing overly fussy about this textured knit sweater dress that can be styled in two seconds flat for an I-just-woke-up-like-this look. All-weather boots and a water-resistant field jacket aren’t negotiable if/when you decide to step foot outside.
20. & Other Stories Textured Glitter Knit Dress ($115): Shine bright like a diamond in this stretchy glitter dress that’s made for the holiday party circuit and upcoming NYE celebrations. Dress it down with mid-heel ankle boots and a wool duster coat for a getup that slays. The textured knit fabric will lend itself well to many a blustery night and single-digit commute.
Which of these sweater dresses will you be seeking solace in this winter? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.