For many of us, 2016 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2017! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
Getting (and staying) healthy requires some forethought. If you’re new to healthy eating, clean recipes for beginners are just what you need. And, of course, macro bowl recipes are great for helping you get all the nutrients you need into one wholesome meal. But one staple that’s easy to make in a pinch and ALWAYS delicious is healthy, detoxifying lemon chicken. Why is it detoxifying, you ask? Lemon helps the liver get rid of toxins that you *probably* don’t want floating around your bod. Chicken is also clean, low-carb and full of protein. Try these 14 lemon chicken recipes next time you’re in a rut.
1. Greek Lemon Garlic Chicken Salad: There’s a reason Mediterranean diets are considered some of the healthiest in the world. Proof: this *ridiculously* healthy salad. Just look at all those colorful, clean veggies! (via Cafe Delites)
2. Lemon Almond Roast Chicken Salad: Shredded chicken salads *sound* healthy enough, but many of them are loaded with mayonnaise and even cheese. Not this salad. It’s packed with healthy proteins and fats, like sliced almonds, shredded chicken and Greek yogurt. (via How Sweet It Is)
3. Easy Healthy Baked Lemon Chicken: If you’re craving a warm, filling meal more than a light salad, these baked chicken breasts are the way to go. They also happen to be super quick and simple to make. They require just 2-3 minutes on the stove and about 25 in the oven. (via Le Creme de la Crumb)
4. Simple Lemon Chicken Recipe: This lemon chicken is a Paleo-friendly version of the chicken you’d otherwise find at your favorite takeout location. The chicken is coated with grain-free flour… you can choose from teff flour, casssava flour, spelt flour or whole-wheat flour, depending on your dietary preferences. (via My Natural Family)
5. Greek Lemon Chicken Soup: This warming, delicious soup is PERFECT for clean eaters. Bonus: Soups are uber-hydrating and also good for digestion, so be sure to sip on this if you’re feeling like you need a little reset. Just be sure to keep your soup low-sodium if you’re looking for hydration benefits. (via A Spicy Perspective)
6. One Pan Teriyaki Chicken With Vegetables: This one-pan recipe is so easy to make, it really couldn’t be simpler. Just make the teriyaki glaze, cook the chicken on its first side for roughly 10 minutes, flip over the chicken and add veggies around the side, and complete the baking for another 20 minutes. (via Life Made Sweeter)
7. Skinny Honey Lemon Chicken: Here’s another healthy alternative to takeout for you. This recipe adds honey into the mix, giving your chicken a delightfully sweet taste. Serve it over quinoa rather than rice for an added protein boost. (via Gimme Some Oven)
8. One Pot Lemon Herb Chicken and Rice: Now, just because you may opt for protein-packed quinoa instead of rice doesn’t mean rice itself isn’t healthy. It is a pretty clean ingredient, particularly if you go for brown rice. This one-pot recipe combines the flavors of lemon chicken with hearty rice, and throws some flavorful herbs into the mix for good measure. (via Le Creme de la Crumb)
9. Winter Spa Salad With Lemon Chicken: This isn’t your average salad — it’s packed with healthy, interesting ingredients that lend a TON of color and flavor. Namely, pomegranate seeds, cara cara oranges, avocado, chickpeas and spinach. (via Pinch of Yum)
10. Greek Lemon Chicken Skewers With Tzatziki Sauce: Thought the only options for lemon chicken were salads, baked chicken and soups? Think again! This finger-friendly favorite is a major crowd pleaser, perfect for parties and gatherings. (via Recipe Runner)
11. Lemon Rice and Chicken Soup: This hearty and warming soup is light, healthy and full of nourishing fats. Eggs, olive oil, chicken, lemon, carrot, onion, dill and chicken broth go a long way toward warming you up and keeping you on track with your health goals. (via Jo Cooks)
12. Easy Lemon Chicken With Caramelized Onions: This super-yummy and crowd-pleasing lemon chicken recipe combines traditional lemon chicken with fresh parsley, thyme and caramelized lemons. How to caramelize lemons, you ask? Easy. Just add them to a skillet, drizzle with honey and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes. (via Averie Cooks)
13. Grilled Lemon Herb Mediterranean Salad: This healthy Mediterranean salad offers another take on the classic salad bowl, this time featuring cucumber, tomato, onion, avocado and — of course — lemon chicken. Bonus detox points for drizzling the entire thing with fresh lemon juice. (via Cafe Delites)
14. 5 Ingredient Lemon Chicken With Asparagus: This five-ingredient recipe is *so* easy to make, it’ll be ready to go in under 20 minutes. In case you were wondering, the five ingredients you’ll be working with are chicken, flour, lemon pepper, asparagus and lemons. Just use a gluten-free flour if you’re trying to adhere to a Paleo or Whole30 lifestyle. (via Pinch of Yum)
Follow us on Pinterest for even more healthy recipes and clean meal ideas!