For many of us, 2016 was a doozy but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2017! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
When it comes to healthy eating, nothing can really top clean eating recipes. More moderate than low-carb diets or low-fat ones, clean eating simply requires you to eat real, *unprocessed* foods. This means eliminating grains, dairy, sugars and artificial ingredients, and instead choosing foods that can be prepared and consumed directly as they are harvested. In other words, meats, vegetables, nuts, fruit, naturally occurring sugars and starchy carbohydrates such as potatoes and gourds. If you’re ready to make the switch to healthy meals, these 17 clean-eating recipes will take you from breakfast all the way through dessert.
1. Arugula, Asparagus and Avocado Breakfast Salad: Start the day off right with heaps of fresh greens. Loaded with healthy fats, this breakfast salad will help you start off the day with nourishing Omega-3s to keep your hormones in perfect balance. (via Downshiftology)
2. Paleo Pumpkin Granola: While most cold cereals will be off the table once you start eating clean, a nice homemade granola with nuts, seeds and a light dusting of spices and pure maple syrup is perfectly on-point. Oh, and did we mention the canned pumpkin? (via Jay’s Baking Me Crazy)
3. Paleo Zucchini Oatless Oatmeal: Zoats (that is, zucchini oats) took the world by storm earlier this year, and we’re obsessed. All you need to do to make this lower-carb oat alternative is grate your zucchini into a bowl of boiling water, then add the toppings of your choice once it’s cooked. (via Skinny Fitalicious)
4. Paleo Cinnamon Roll in a Mug: Trust us — mug cakes are your new best friend. This amazing creation is perfect for indulging in on a Sunday morning, and it’s made with completely whole foods, namely: coconut oil, coconut flour, maple syrup and a magical blend of spices. (via The Iron You)
5. Paleo Sweet Potato Toast: Sweet potato toast is a beloved standby for most clean eaters, and for good reason. When you’re no longer eating regular bread, you REALLY miss toast. Sweet potatoes make for an amazing substitution, and are packed with all kinds of vital nutrients — and flavor. (via The Dish on Healthy)
6. Healthy Stuffed Tuna Avocado: Avocado is the *perfect* ingredient for a clean diet, as it’s packed with not only tons of vitamins and minerals, but also healthy Omega-3 fatty acids. These tuna-stuffed avos showcase the flavors of jalapeño and cilantro, as well as tuna, bell peppers and lime. (via The Stay at Home Chef)
7. Carrot Raisin Pineapple Salad: This sweet salad would make for a fantastic substitution for cole slaw. When made with vegan mayo, it’s dairy-free and sweetened only with pure honey and natural fruits. We’d recommend serving this alongside a lean protein such as chicken or turkey. (via Noshtastic)
8. Roasted Paleo Butternut Squash Soup With Apple: The sweet flavors of apple and butternut squash are combined in this SUPER yummy, Paleo-friendly recipe. This warm, hearty soup is perfect for making ahead of time so you can bring it with you to work and heat it up throughout the week. (via Noshtastic)
9. Clean Eating Turkey Chili: Speaking of hot soups you can warm up throughout the week, this turkey chili recipe is AMAZING at keeping you toasty on chilly (see what we did there?) winter days. It’s also packed with protein, fiber and healthy carbs to keep you full and satisfied. (via Dear Crissy)
10. Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry: Stir fry recipes are perfect for clean eaters — just use a healthy cooking oil, such as coconut oil, in place of vegetable or corn oils (those two are much more highly processed!). Bonus tip: To make this recipe completely gluten-free, spring for tamari instead of soy sauce. (via Dinner at the Zoo)
11. Sweet Potato Pizza Crust: This sweet potato crust is wholesome and totally gluten-free. A note of caution though: If you really want to make this recipe “clean,” you’ll want to make it without cheese. With so many delish ingredients, though, we doubt you’ll miss it. (via iFOODreal)
12. Stovetop Zucchini Noodles Lasagna: Here’s another replacement for a carb-heavy dinner fave: lasagna. The flavors of zucchini noodles are played up by onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar and baby spinach. Leave off the Parmesan and replace the cottage cheese with coconut yogurt to keep this 100 percent dairy-free. (via iFOODreal)
13. Easy Healthy Baked Lemon Chicken: Sometimes, it’s the simplest dishes that really pack the most flavor. This juicy baked chicken recipe is no exception — chicken broth, lemon juice, honey and garlic play up the flavors of free-range chicken breasts to DELICIOUS effect. (via La Creme de la Crumb)
14. Turkey, White Bean and Kale Stew: This warm, hearty stew is brimming with flavor, protein and nutrients. Bonus: This is another one you can cook ahead of time and reheat throughout the week. (via iFOODreal)
15. Healthy Avocado Brownies: One of the reasons desserts taste *so* good is because they employ two indulgent ingredients: a fat and a sugar. In these nourishing brownies, the fat comes from heart-healthy avocados, while the sugar comes from pure maple syrup and unsweetened applesauce. (via The Healthy Maven)
16. 2-Ingredient Banana Coconut Cookies: It really doesn’t get much simpler than this. As the title suggests, these delicious little treats are made with just two healthy ingredients: bananas and coconut flakes. (via Fresh Planet Flavor)
Follow us on Pinterest for more clean eating, Paleo and Whole30-friendly recipes and meal plans.