15 Mason Jar Recipes to Take You from Breakfast Through Happy Hour
There are a million different ways to use mason jars, from Halloween decorating to DIY canning. You’ve probably seen lots of recipes for convenient, portable mason jar salads, but let’s be real: Sometimes salad just isn’t going to cut it. Did you know that there are TONS of other ways to use mason jars in your cooking? Ranging from breakfasts to desserts (spoiler: There’s even one cocktail in here!), these 15 mason jar recipes are anything but standard.
1. Cherry Chia Jam Overnight Oats: Overnight oats are an absolutely genius creation. All you need to do is soak your oats overnight, and you’ll wake up to a sweet, parfait-like breakfast that can be topped with all manner of fruit, sweets and nuts. It’s the ultimate lazy-girl breakfast — but it’s healthy. (via Blissful Basil)
2. Overnight Maple Buckwheat in a Jar: Turns out, oats aren’t the only healthy whole grain you can soak overnight. This maple buckwheat recipe is similarly healthy, frothy, creamy and absolutely yum. (via Citron Limette).
3. Healthy Breakfast Bread Pudding: Bread pudding doesn’t exactly scream light and healthy, but this recipe is *just* that. Made with whole grains and few (if any) added sugars, this grab-and-go treat is perfect for workday mornings when you want something healthy to give you energy throughout the day. (via The Yummy Life)
4. Mason Jar Breakfast to Go: Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey! This recipe literally takes your classic American breakfast of eggs, cheese, bacon and hash browns and loads it all into one convenient mason jar. PRO TIP: Use goat cheese to give it an extra kick and set it apart from the diner down the street. (via At the Picket Fence)
5. Mason Jar Banana Bread: Now you can wake up, stumble to your fridge and have your banana bread ready to eat. It’s hard to believe that you can put mason jars in an oven, but you can! If you’re skeptical, you can always immerse the jars in a water bath to be extra safe. (via Bakerette)
6. Travelling Noodles: And you thought ramen couldn’t get any yummier. This recipe takes it to the next level, though, adding in vegetables, bouillon and tofu (or chicken, if that’s your jam). (via The Londoner).
7. Minty Yogurt Parfaits: Though they’re called “parfaits,” these delicious concoctions are most definitely a lunch item. They contain chickpeas, mint and yogurt, echoing the flavors of Indian cuisine in a convenient, takeaway meal option. (via From the Land We Live On)
8. Taco Salad in a Jar: Okay, so this one is *technically* a salad, but it’s hardly rabbit food. This taco salad is completely delicious. Be sure to top it with crunchy tortilla strips to keep it from feeling at all salad-like. (via Pocket Change Gourmet)
9. DIY Instant Noodle Cups: This no-frills take on DIY ramen keeps the process just as easy as any pre-packaged instant noodle dish, but *without* the weird ingredients. To create your own ready-made ramen, simply layer your favorite noodles, spices and veggies into a mason jar sans broth. When you’re ready to eat, pour some boiling water into the creation, let it stand and then enjoy. (via The Kitchn)
10. Mini Chicken Pot Pies: Mmmmm, chicken pot pie. So warm and delicious. So… pre-packaged. Not anymore! This recipe helps you create your own chicken pot pies in mason jars so they’re ready to go when you get home from a long day’s work. (via Foodie Fun)
11. Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese: Have you ever considered adding canned pumpkin to the cheese sauce you use in your noodle dishes? GENIUS, right?! It’s like pumpkin ravioli in the form of any pasta shape you choose. This particular recipe calls for macaroni, and lets you prepare it ahead of time in a perfectly sized mason jar. (via Caramel Potatoes)
12. Chili With Cornbread: Cornbread and chili are perfect for cool autumn days, and this recipe has everything you need to make it happen — in a mason jar. You’ll make the chili first, and then fill your jar about halfway with it. Top with cornbread and you’re good to go. (via The Pleasant Pantry)
13. Chicken Pot Pie: Here’s another chicken pot pie recipe for you. If you want to go the extra mile, you can make your crust from scratch, fully solidifying your pot pie’s fresh, homemade status. (via Cooking With Jax)
14. Apple Pie: This pancake-like apple pie recipe is absolutely to die for. It’s basically a mason jar filled with baked flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, apples, sugar and apple butter, making for a completely decadent fall treat. (via Two Saucy Sisters)
15. Mason Jar Jam Cocktail: That’s right, we’re rounding out our list with a nightcap (or a daycap, whatever you prefer). This cocktail recipe calls for jam, club soda and the liquor of your choice. Top it with your favorite juice and sip it from a mason jar — it’s a total win-win. (via Platings and Pairings)
Simplify your life with more mason jar recipes — we have more ideas on Pinterest!