Apparently mom really does know best. Remember when we used to tease her when she pulled on those faded, high waisted jeans? Well, it looks like we’re going to have to eat our words, because the vintage jean is popping up left and right on the street style scene and is even being sold by high-end designers like Alexander Wang. The secret to properly rocking the mom jean is all in the styling. Check out these 15 inspirational pics for some tips and tricks to help you educationally embrace the controversial trend.
1. Male Influence: If you’re looking for a pair of mom jeans at the thrift shop, head over to the men’s section and make sure to also check out the jacket selection. These baggy jeans already evoke a menswear vibe, so popping on an oversized, menswear-inspired coat seems only natural. (via Who Wore What)
2. French Girl Chic: Ooh la la. Take a cue from Parisian style: sometimes simple says it best. Instead of over-styling an outfit, just pop on a classic silky blouse, some functional flats and leave it at that. (via Carolines Mode)
3. ’90s Throwback We’re feeling some serious ’90s Winona Ryder vibes here. If you want to stay true to the vintage feel of the jeans, throw on a loose fitting tee and chunky lace up boots for a ’90s grunge look. (via Xen’s Imagination)
4. Topped With a Trench Coat: This mini trench is admittedly pretty wild, but a cropped top does wonders to even out the proportions of the jean’s ultra high rise. If you’re not feeling this funky jacket, a longer trench that hits mid-thigh would also work. (via The Man Repeller)
5. Kimono Crazy: If these high rise jeans don’t turn some heads on their own, a flowing kimono will definitely do the trick. The sheer topper adds a delicate element to these bulky bottoms. If floor-length is a little too dramatic for your taste, a slightly shorter alternative will also do the trick. (via Lou Lou Mag)
6. White Jeans: Not feeling the faded denim? Rock the trend in white (yes, it’s okay that it’s after Labor Day). Pair the bright jeans with a sleek button-down blouse for a pulled-together look. (via We Wore What)
7. Sweater Weather: Follow Jenna Lyons’ advice and invest in a cashmere sweater that you can tuck into a pair of high-rise jeans. Being equally as cozy as you are cute can never be a bad thing. (via The Styleograph)
9. Going Out Get-Up: Date night here you come. Who would have ever thought mom jeans could be involved in romantic endeavors? Pair the pants with a flirty blouse and some sexy heels and you’re ready to hit the town. (via Xen’s Imagination)
10. Keeping it Classy: This polished look is really making us wonder how we ever doubted the denim. Pop on a sleek high-neck top and a matching pair of pumps and the only mom we’d mistake this gal for is Victoria Beckham. (via We Wore What)
11. Endless Legs: If you’re vertically challenged, a high rise pant will do wonders to elongate your legs. Pop on a pair of sky-high heels with the jeans and you might as well be a runway model with those never-ending gams. (via Cali Vintage)
12. Bust Out the Bustier: If you want to give the trend a try but feel like the look is a little too frumpy, trade your top for a sexy bustier. We know this might be tough for winter weather, but if you’re spending the day indoors, just go for it. Rock this look with booties like the gal pictured above, or slip on some black pumps for an ultra glamorous take on the trend. (via Carolines Mode)
13. All Black Everything: We’re all about color here at Brit + Co, but we can admit that sometimes an all-black ensemble is the way to go. Sporting this style jean in black rather than a faded wash is a great way to ease your way into the trend. (via Creators of Desire)
14. Tomboy Takeover: Go total tomboy on this thing with a buttoned up men’s shirt, some lace up boots and slicked back hair. If you feel yourself itching for a little bit more of a feminine flair, swap the boots for flats or the slicked back hair for a flirty updo. (via Carolines Mode)
15. Damsel in Distress: Give the throwback jeans a little extra vintage love by distressing them a bit. If they’re not worn already, take some sandpaper to those babies and scrub away. (via Style Pantry)
How do you guys feel about this denim trend? Can you see yourself in any of these outfits? Tell us what you think in the comments below.