10 Murphy Beds that Maximize Small Spaces
First question? Who the heck is Murphy and why does he have his own bed? Well, William Lawrence Murphy was an inventor who happened to be wooing an opera singer around 1900. At the time, moral code forbade women from entering a man’s bedroom so Murphy came up with a way to convert his one-room apartment into a parlor, enabling him to entertain. A genius move to get a girl to come home with you, don’t you think? ;)
It turns out Murphy Beds aren’t only reserved for kitschy apartments under the freeway. They’re actually a brilliant way to make more out of any small space, and can be customized in a plethora of different ways depending on your taste, the space you’re working with, and your budget. Here are 10 we’ve rounded up from all over the web.
1. Poppiboard Storage Bed (contact to order): How amazing would this be for a small office space or dorm room?
2. Hidden Desk Murphy Bed ($2,278): On the classic side of the coin, this is a less modern take on the Murphy Bed.
3. Dotto Bookcase Desk Bed ($6,661): We love the clean lines and extra storage that this option includes, even when it’s folded out as a bed.
4. Ulisse Desk Bed (contact to order): We love that they manage to make this Murphy Bed look anything but kitschy. Props to the interior designers for sure.
7. Abbott Library Murphy Bed ($5,400): For a bed that needs to be concealed most of the time, this gorgeous bookshelf is a beautiful option.
8. Altea Relax Single Bed (contact to order): This one folds into a couch! So cute.
9. Lori Wall Beds ($790 and up): You can buy these wall beds customized for your space or can simply purchase the plans to make your own.
10. Lofted Folding Bed (contact to order): What happens when a Murphy Bed gets down with a loft? A lofted Murphy Bed! Win.
Bonus! Murphy Bed for Pets ($58): What about your furry friends? ;)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)