19 High Voltage Ways to Inject a “Pop” of Color into Your Winter Wardrobe
Enough is enough. Between the waning sunlight, shorter days and the downright Arctic temperatures (okay, maybe we’re exaggerating a bit on that last one), a case of the winter mehs is already starting to set in. But, chin up, there’s still hope yet! True to form, once you start thinking warmer thoughts (hello, Bermuda sunshine!) and subbing in “super brights” for a palette of blasé neutrals, it’ll only be a matter of time before your hatred toward winter turns into mutual respect. Instead of dreading your blustery morning commutes, you’ll come to appreciate the breath of fresh air that it brings, and the opportunity to whip out your cheekiest cold weather accessories and longline coats. Now’s the time to ditch your depressing all-black-errthang uniform for an uplifting wardrobe of fluorescent hues — think cherry red, citrus yellow, chartreuse and aqua blue, just to name a few — that can be spotted at least a mile away. Ahead, we’ve compiled 19 bright and punchy statement pieces that are more than deserving of a spot in your colorful capsule wardrobe.
1. Free People Super Slouch Beanie ($28): It’s one of the first things you reach for before braving the cold or hitting the slopes. If you guessed an extra-slouchy ribbed beanie, then you’re already a step ahead of the sartorial curve. Just as moon boots are non-negotiable during a blizzard, a fluorescent green beanie is practically a no-brainer come the first polar vortex of the season. For maximum impact, pair it alongside a leopard print coat and leather pants.
2. Golden Ponies Pastel Raincoat ($60): Rain, rain, come again: This pastel color-block raincoat will make you *actually* look forward to the prospect of rainy days. Armed with your favorite wellies and a cheeky umbrella, it’ll banish a case of the rainy-day blues before they even surface. We’re partial to the contrasting rubber ducky yellow pockets and hood that call for a little splish, splash action — puddle jumping may be one of your specialties yet.
3. Free People Sparkler Wrap Mule ($148): Found it. Between a bevy of seasonal fêtes and New Year’s Eve countdowns, you’re going to need a pair of glitter-flecked suede mules on standby. These lace-up magenta beauties definitely aren’t too shabby, especially once it comes time to dance the night away in your glitziest drop-waist dress. But don’t be mistaken — they’ll look just as at home with a streamlined turtleneck, raw-hem stilt-leg jeans and a fuzzy topper.
4. J.Crew Zippered Coat in Stadium-Cloth ($365): Guard your wallets: If history repeats itself, then you’ll be forking over the moolah for this covetable chartreuse stadium coat in about 2.5 seconds. It’s that good. You have free rein to parade it around town with vibrant suede lilac heels and a bright orange clutch in tow. Sign us up, please.
5. The Cambridge Satchel Company The 11 Inch Melissa x CSC Satchel ($140): Color chameleons, come through! Just as your clothes deserve a dose of color splash, so do your #AOTD (accessories of the day). In lieu of neon-colored knits (been there, done that), try your hand at this sleek aqua satchel that’s made for girls on the go. Team it alongside a Kelly Green coat, banana yellow trousers or even an unassuming khaki trench for an unstoppable look that means business.
6. Free People Isle of Sky Pullover ($228): Chunky knit pullovers make the world go ‘round, amirite? This fuzzy fiesta red sweater has holiday bash written all over it (although it could certainly double for a Netflix-powered weekend). Style it with a sequined mini skirt or cropped denim flares and velvet ankle booties for a head-turning look. Pro tip: Nonchalantly tuck your hair into the turtleneck for a getup that says “trying, but not trying too hard, thanks.”
7. Silence + Noise Ally Neon Chunky Cardigan ($98): Common consensus says we ALL need a stay-at-home knit cardigan with this much staying power. The photos don’t do it justice — that shade of neon pink won’t be going undetected during your morning commute anytime soon. Style it with an oversized t-shirt and high-performance leggings for a lounge-worthy look, before upping the wow factor with a shimmery sequined dress and Doc Martens come the p.m.
8. J.Crew Abstract Crystal Bee Earrings ($25): Obsessed would be an understatement. From working the reception desk at your nine-to-five to brunching uptown in your Sunday best, these brilliantly hued crystal earrings are guaranteed to keep a case of the outfit blahs away — think of them as the exclamation point to every #OOTD.
9. Urban Outfitters Neon PVC Belt ($15): Our advice when it comes to introducing a slew of fluorescents into your wardrobe of dark clothing? Take baby steps, starting with this neon yellow PVC belt that will lend just the right amount of look-at-me appeal to a sheer maxi dress or plain ol’ denim. ’90s babes, have at it!
10. J.Crew Pintucked Pencil Skirt in Lace ($98): Why yes, come to think of it, your boardroom uniform could use a little color play. Ditch the snoozy black slacks and crisp white button-downs for this ultra-femme grassy green lace skirt that will take you from desk to drinks. Round out your HR-approved look with nude ankle-strap steppers, a chambray shirt (cuffed sleeves done the Jenna Lyons way, natch) and dazzling chandelier earrings for a getup that reads HBIC.
11. Zara Knit Sweatshirt ($50): This double-tap-worthy highlighter yellow sweatshirt has us literally jumping for joy. If you ask us, it’s ‘bout time your wardrobe of strictly winter whites received some company in the form of a mood-enhancing outer layer that can stand on its own. *Adds to cart without hesitation.*
12. Privileged Rainier Glitter Heel ($128): Introducing the unicorn of going-out shoes: These star-studded glitter heels featuring a colorful faux fur pom (YAS) would be perf for a Vegas-themed bachelorette party, a late-night bar crawl or even date night. All that’s missing is a sequined bodysuit and leather pants for an OTT look that would do Lady Gaga proud.
13. Zara Neon Yellow Gloves ($30): Ski season is upon us, people! You best believe a pair of these neon yellow all-weather gloves will hold you down when out shoveling snow or walking your pooch around the block. They may not be the most stylish pair, but they sure are Snowmageddon-approved — proceed to pair alongside your puffiest puffer and ugly-pretty moon boots.
14. J.O.A. Cobalt Long Coat ($121): You say cobalt, we say cerulean. Either way, we’re pretty sure Miranda Priestly would be on board when it comes to test-driving this statement-making azul overcoat on the streets. The relaxed menswear style can be pared down with rolled-up boyfriend jeans and mid-heel ankle boots or elevated with a swishy accordion-pleat skirt come dusk. Your move.
15. Free People What a Flirt Sweater Set ($148): Cute and snuggly doesn’t even begin to cut it — this is what you toss on when you’re looking to add some variety to your date-night look. Perfect for cozying up by the fire with your boo (and a cuppa hot chocolate), this two-piece knit sweater set will hold you down all winter long. The eccentric coral and electric blue stripes would look best complemented by a longline puffer jacket and citron-hued mittens.
16. Urban Renewal Vintage Overdyed Surplus Jogger Pant ($39): For days when you’re low-key bummin’ it, you can rest easy knowing you’re doing so in style. (Hey, if Juicy tracksuits were acceptable in the early ‘00s, then these drawstring joggers should fit the bill just fine.) Plus, the turquoise hue will have you garnering all the compliments from random passersby post-SoulCycle sesh. You already know monochromatic kicks are in order.
17. Scotch & Soda Faux Fur Collared Jacket ($295): You, blend in with the crowd? Puh-lease. Not for the overly modest, this gem of a topper puts the “P” in pizzazz. Everything from the retro plaid print to the funky faux fur tangerine collar will earn you style MVP status. Top it over your go-to sequined party dress or team it with your favorite knitwear for a wintry look.
18. Sophie Hulme Milner Nano Leather Shoulder Bag ($365): Hello, gorgeous! We’re pretty sure it’s impossible to feel blue when your pint-sized crossbody bag packs this much panache. The striking neon yellow hue will add a much-needed pop to your beloved camel coat and play well with a set of multi-striped mittens and scarves. Can you say style goals on goals on goals?
19. ASOS H! by Henry Holland Holland Long Sleeve Sweatshirt ($49): You could say we’re tickled pink with this girly crew sweatshirt featuring fancy metallic lettering. Not only will it make a coffee-fueled work sesh from home infinitely more bearable, but it’s just the thing to toss on when you’ve got last-minute errands to run across town. Heading to the laundromat in your weekend threads (and off-duty kicks) has never looked so chic.
Which of these fluorescent pieces will you be adding to your winter wardrobe? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.