15 Ways to Hack a New Summer Look
Have a closet full of clothes, but nothing to wear? Especially as a season (gulp!) comes to an end? We feel ya, but don’t worry — a wardrobe of possibilities is on the horizon! All you need is a little creativity and the know-how to freshen up those dull-seeming duds. Whether it be a collared shirt that’s re-styled (miraculously) into a chic new dress or denim snipped to cut-off perfection, these 15 summer style hacks will give you the inspiration for what might end up being some of your new favorite warm weather wears. We dare you to not find a DIY that doesn’t meet your sartorial approval!
1. Turn a Men’s Shirt into a Sleeveless Tunic: Never thought to refashion an oversized button down into something so summery, did you? As it just so happens, a chambray shirt makes the ideal tunic, especially when belted! (via Brit + Co)
2. Make a Muumuu into a Fitted Dress: Nope, this darling floral embroidered dress is not from Anthropologie, although you could have fooled us! Let’s just say that a muumuu has never looked so good. (via Life is Beautiful)
4. Turn a Maxi Dress into a Halter: Just when you thought your strapless maxi dress was sooo done-zo, we share this gem of a style hack with you. No one will ever guess that your hot new halter dress actually served a past life as a floor-length frock — what?! (via Brit + Co)
5. Turn a T-shirt into a No Sew Crop Top: No need to go and splurge on girly loungewear when you can create a breezy, peek-a-boo crop top of your own from an oversized tee, no sewing skills required! (via Cotton + Curls)
7. Turn a Long-Sleeve Shirt into a Wrap Skirt: Blink and you’ll miss it: In eight seconds — and just six easy steps — you can transform a fall staple into a warm weather wearable that ties together with a bow! (via Life is Beautiful)
8. Long-sleeve Blouse Turned Sleeveless Blouse: Your everyday blouse becomes new again thanks to this tutorial that literally hacks off the sleeves and adds a gathered neckline. (via Pearls & Scissors)
9. Tie a Men’s Shirt into a Strapless Top: No pun intended, but here’s a summer hack that is literally borrowed from the boys. The next time you’re in a style rut, don’t hesitate to turn a men’s shirt into a strapless sundress. (via Brit + Co)
10. Turn a Jersey Scarf into a Wrapped Mini Skirt: The versatility of a soft jersey scarf is undeniable. Perfect your off-duty style with this fashionable wrapped mini — ankle booties not included. (via Witchery)
11. Turn Jeans into Cutoffs: Before you throw out those jeans that you haven’t worn in ages, consider upcycling them into a pair of shorts. Instead of plain ol’ cutoffs though, embellish them with a pretty lace trim or another one of our Pin-spirational DIY cutoff short ideas. (via Pretty Quirky Pants)
12. Turn a Tank into a Cutout Crop Top: Yup, this cutout top with a bow-twist is all sorts of summer fun. If you have a drawer full of tanks — don’t we all?! — then select the most print-tastic one and get started! (via Trash to Couture)
13. Turn a Pillow Sham into a Peplum Top: This might be the most stunning transformation of all — what was once a pillow sham is now a peplum top that you’ll be wearing to dressy fêtes for the rest of summer! (via Cotton + Curls)
Which summer clothing hack are you dying to try? What other ways to you restyle your current wardrobe to make new + on-trend creations? Let us know in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)