15 Ways to Hack a New Summer Look
Have a closet full of clothes, but nothing to wear? Especially as a season (gulp!) comes to an end? We feel ya, but don’t worry — a wardrobe of possibilities is on the horizon! All you need is a little creativity and the know-how to freshen up those dull-seeming duds. Whether it be a collared shirt that’s re-styled (miraculously) into a chic new dress or denim snipped to cut-off perfection, these 15 summer style hacks will give you the inspiration for what might end up being some of your new favorite warm weather wears. We dare you to not find a DIY that doesn’t meet your sartorial approval!
1. Turn a Men’s Shirt into a Sleeveless Tunic: Never thought to refashion an oversized button down into something so summery, did you? As it just so happens, a chambray shirt makes the ideal tunic, especially when belted! (via Brit + Co)
2. Make a Muumuu into a Fitted Dress: Nope, this darling floral embroidered dress is not from Anthropologie, although you could have fooled us! Let’s just say that a muumuu has never looked so good. (via Life is Beautiful)
4. Turn a Maxi Dress into a Halter: Just when you thought your strapless maxi dress was sooo done-zo, we share this gem of a style hack with you. No one will ever guess that your hot new halter dress actually served a past life as a floor-length frock — what?! (via Brit + Co)
5. Turn a T-shirt into a No Sew Crop Top: No need to go and splurge on girly loungewear when you can create a breezy, peek-a-boo crop top of your own from an oversized tee, no sewing skills required! (via Cotton + Curls)
7. Turn a Long-Sleeve Shirt into a Wrap Skirt: Blink and you’ll miss it: In eight seconds — and just six easy steps — you can transform a fall staple into a warm weather wearable that ties together with a bow! (via Life is Beautiful)
8. Long-sleeve Blouse Turned Sleeveless Blouse: Your everyday blouse becomes new again thanks to this tutorial that literally hacks off the sleeves and adds a gathered neckline. (via Pearls & Scissors)
9. Tie a Men’s Shirt into a Strapless Top: No pun intended, but here’s a summer hack that is literally borrowed from the boys. The next time you’re in a style rut, don’t hesitate to turn a men’s shirt into a strapless sundress. (via Brit + Co)
10. Turn a Jersey Scarf into a Wrapped Mini Skirt: The versatility of a soft jersey scarf is undeniable. Perfect your off-duty style with this fashionable wrapped mini — ankle booties not included. (via Witchery)
11. Turn Jeans into Cutoffs: Before you throw out those jeans that you haven’t worn in ages, consider upcycling them into a pair of shorts. Instead of plain ol’ cutoffs though, embellish them with a pretty lace trim or another one of our Pin-spirational DIY cutoff short ideas. (via Pretty Quirky Pants)
12. Turn a Tank into a Cutout Crop Top: Yup, this cutout top with a bow-twist is all sorts of summer fun. If you have a drawer full of tanks — don’t we all?! — then select the most print-tastic one and get started! (via Trash to Couture)
13. Turn a Pillow Sham into a Peplum Top: This might be the most stunning transformation of all — what was once a pillow sham is now a peplum top that you’ll be wearing to dressy fêtes for the rest of summer! (via Cotton + Curls)
Which summer clothing hack are you dying to try? What other ways to you restyle your current wardrobe to make new + on-trend creations? Let us know in the comments below.