18 OTT Sneakers That Will Put Your Plain White Tennies to Shame
In an era dominated by statement sneakers and Yeezys, you probably think you’ve seen it all by now. WRONG! As athleisure continues to gain traction among the street smart crowd, we don’t foresee a slowdown in cool kicks anytime soon. It doesn’t matter if you’re a full-fledged New Yorker or an LA babe at heart; when it comes to your sneaker game, plain white tennies won’t fly. Make it your prerogative this January and beyond (hello, resolution fashion) to step outside the comfort zone of your beloved Stan Smiths — just consider it a well-timed hiatus of sorts, okay? Ahead, we’re bringing you 18 next-level sneakers that call for an editor-approved pair of track pants and an off-duty bomber that’s slay-worthy in its own right. You certainly don’t have to tell us twice.
1. Jeffrey Campbell Rainbow Platform Sneaker ($140): Did someone say ‘80s-themed dance party at the skating rink? We’re so there, especially if these psychedelic rainbow platforms are part of the game plan. Round out your look with a neon leotard, an oversized sweater and an extra-high ponytail for no shortage of sugar and spice.
2. Bucketfeet The Duo Slip-On Sneakers ($65): You gotta love a pair of canvas slip-ons that stands for equality. Representing “the power of unity among all people,” these abstract artist-designed sneaks promote a meaning far greater than fashion. Although, the eye-catching contemporary design will definitely be a hit on the streets too.
3. ASOS Date Patchwork Sneakers ($34): These playful patchwork sneakers warrant no introduction. They’re just that FUN and recess-bound. Taking you from brunching with your best buds to running those dreaded weekend errands, these whimsical silver tennies are guaranteed to keep a case of the winter doldrums at bay.
4. Vans Sk8-Hi Mono Canvas Sneaker ($60): ‘Cause you’re just a ‘90s-loving sk8er girl holding onto your angsty roots. Come through with these monochromatic blue Vans that will give you ALL the feels. Pair with acid wash jeans, a letterman bomber jacket, striped tube socks and a vintage rocker tee for the throwback lewk of the season.
5. & Other Stories Kaleidoscopic Glitter Sneaker ($145): What to wear when your nine-to-five has you booking it across town like a maniac? (Internship duties, y’all!) We thought you’d never ask. Equal parts comfortable and stylish, these glittery sneakers will more than fit the bill for everything that comes your way — be it juggling Starbucks orders or attending a boardroom meeting.
6. Marc Jacobs Astor Lightning Bolt Sneakers ($295): The secret to being fast (like lightning bolt fast) on and off the track? Scoop up a pair of these retro sneakers and you’ll see almost instantaneous results. Maybe it’s the extra-cushiony sole, or perhaps it’s the bold eccentric design — either way, best believe these trainers will live up to the hype as you zigzag through the streets.
7. Rebecca Minkoff Bleecker Embroidery Sneaker ($195): Venture down to SoHo like an HBIC with these trend-right floral embroidered sneakers that call for black ripped skinnies, a floor-length puffer and a leather baseball cap. Come fashion week, they’ll look ceaselessly chic with a bow-neck blouse, a slick trench and high-waisted mom jeans. Street style photogs, we’re ready for ya!
8. Loeffler Randall Logan Sneaker ($350): Proceed to channel your inner artist with these paint-splattered tassel kicks that are guaranteed to add instant panache to your morning commute. A routine stop at the post office, you say? That’s when chic happens. Further personalize your look with an embroidered denim jacket, a vibrant cashmere jumper and a slouchy knit beanie for a street-chic getup that doesn’t include Adidas Superstars.
9. & Other Stories Silver Sneakers ($175): Sneakers for a black tie affair? Yes, yes, it can be done — and without cramping your style, might we add. These metallic silver stompers will take a high-slit black maxi dress or a black tux to infinity and beyond. In other words, you’re practically guaranteed a coveted spot on the best-dressed list as you bust a move on the dance floor. They’ll look particularly cutting-edge with a leather moto skirt come a night on the town.
10. Silent D + Free People Tiger Hi-Top Sneaker ($168): Rawr is right. Let it be known: These animal print high tops aren’t up for debate. Simple as that. They’ll make a statement in the boardroom when styled with a crisp white button-down and black culottes, and look mean on the courts (basketball courts, that is) with high-performance leggings and an oversized hoodie working overtime.
11. Chiara Ferragni Find Me in Wonderland Sneakers ($347): We heart it: Self-proclaimed sneaker fanatics will agree that these glitzy Chiara Ferragni embellished tennies are worth the splurge. Besides the fact that they’re game for every Galentine’s Day bash, V-Day social — you name it — on your radar, the glittery red hearts will make you feel like the Queen of Hearts. In true Instababe fashion, team ‘em with a fit-and-flare LBD for a romantic outing or take ‘em to the streets with boyfriend jeans and a metallic bomber. Your move.
13. Steve Madden Code Emoji Appliqué Sneakers ($80): Part military brat, part cool-girl-in-training, these army green sneakers featuring rad emoji patches are surely deserving of a spot in your weekend uniform. They look best styled with leather pants and a utilitarian jacket, but don’t be mistaken — they can be made date night-ready when worn tossed on with a striped jersey t-shirt dress.
14. Zara Studded High-Top Sneakers ($70): Designed with the edgier crowd in mind, these studded Converse lookalikes are perfect for everyday wear. (They’ll fit right in with your muscle tees and leather biker jackets, natch.) We’re not kidding when we say they’ll make you look (and feel) like a total rockstar. In fact, from here on out, “bad to the bone” might as well be your middle name. Any takers?
17. Topshop Captive Pom Pom Trainers ($45): On-duty or off-duty, these WTF-worthy pom-pom embellished trainers will take all your #OOTDs to new man-repelling heights. Don’t worry — that’s a good thing. Take them out for a stroll with a layered slip dress and fringe hem jeans or do the athleisure thing by opting for a RiRi-inspired tracksuit. Courtside seats at a Lakers game may or may not be in the equation.
18. Bucketfeet Penfold Slip-On Sneakers ($95): Why anyone would settle for plain ol’ taupe canvas sneakers is beyond us when these screen printed babies are in the lineup. The quirky palette and assortment of random doodles will add instant flair to a graphic tee and rolled-up chinos. Wear them to an art gallery opening or the skate park for a look that reads urban hipster.