Alright people, springtime is a-comin’. That means it’s time for all those fun outdoor adventures like beach days, backyard BBQs and, of course, picnics. We’ve already brought you some of the coolest picnic must-haves, but now we’re moving on to the best part: the food. Because nowadays, those plain old ham sammies just will not do. From waffle sandwiches to Mason jar salads, these 14 spring-worthy treats and eats will brighten up any day. And with a little bit of prep, creativity and DIY touches, you’ll be ready to grab the blankets and put your own spin on picnic season.
1. Fried Chicken Waffle Sandwiches: Eating fried chicken and waffles on a blanket in the sunshine sounds like a dream come true. We’re definitely bookmarking this one. (via The Candid Appetite)
2. Mason Jar Quinoa Salad With Thai Dressing: A Mason jar is a picnic’s BFF. We love the amount of pretty layers that get packed into one dish with this technique. (via Top With Cinnamon)
3. BBQ Chicken Dip: Bring some BBQ flavor to your picnic with this delish dip. Whip it up the night before and pack it in a to-go container for an easy make-ahead option. (via Brit + Co)
4. Spicy Sesame Basil Noodles: This puts a homemade spin on the joy of takeout, which is eating right out of the container. (via Half Baked Harvest)
5. Fruit and Nut Granola Bars: When you’re on a hike, sometimes a picnic isn’t planned, it just happens. These homemade granola bars are designed for when the perfect setting strikes. (via Design Sponge)
6. Brie, Prosciutto, Caramelized Onion and Arugula Sandwich: Holy sammie! This sandwich provides everything you would want in gourmet picnic, and can be made in a cinch. (via Design Love Fest)
7. Picnic in a Box: Not only do we love the sweet message written on the box, but this is also a great way to keep containers to a minimum. (via 100 Layer Cake-Let)
8. Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad: Two of our favorite greens combined into one salad? Yes, please. Just don’t forget to add a few utensils to the picnic basket. (via Sugar and Grace)
9. Crudites with Moroccan Hummus: Every picnic requires yummy snacks, and we’re all over this flavorful combo. (via Chatelaine)
10. Summer Quinoa Hummus Pita: Speaking of hummus, it’s also delicious spread in a pita for a meal on the go. See? A picnic can be healthy and delicious. (via Babble)
11. Baby Peas and Cheese Frittata: Tupperware is not just for leftovers — it’s also the perfect way to transport a frittata slice to your outdoor oasis. (via Family Fresh Cooking)
12. Kate Spade-Inspired Picnic Meal: We have to hand it to Style Me Pretty for coming up with the best picnic theme ever. Plus, how adorable are those hand pies? (via Style Me Pretty)
13. S’mores Bar: Oh hey, S’mores! So happy you could make it to our li’l picnic. (via Love, Sarah Schneider)
14. DIY Pie Box: We’re tempted to go straight to dessert with this sweet DIY. You’re not only getting pie, but you’ll also feel like you’re getting a gift. (via Proper)
What’s your favorite picnic recipe? Tell us in the comments!