What’s Poppin’: 18 Popcorn Blends for Binge-Watching Madness
Forget greasy potato chips, friends; today, it’s all about crispy and crave-worthy popcorn. In its simplest form, popcorn is a blank canvas that encourages us to get creative and enjoy it any way we want it. Some take things to the next level with sticky ‘n’ sweet popcorn balls or marshmallow popcorn bars, but if you’re looking for an even simpler snack hack, go for a sweet or savory seasoning blend. Cue up Netflix and grab a big blanket and a gargantuan sharing bowl, because your binge-watching is about to get a whole lot better with these 18 smashing popcorn blends.
1. Birthday Cake Popcorn: Even if it isn’t your birthday, it’ll certainly feel like it is when you chomp on a handful of this sweet and colorful treat. Plus, a quiet night in with your fave and a movie is always worth celebrating. (via A Beautiful Mess)
2. Maple Bacon Popcorn: Because everything is better with bacon — even already delicious popcorn. If you’re a sucker for all things sweet and salty, then this is a bowlful of your wildest dreams, complete with salty bacon bits and maple brown sugar. (via Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt)
3. 5-Minute Coconut Oil Sriracha Popcorn With Nori: If you want to really step outside the box, this healthy bowl of savory popcorn has it all. With a spicy Japanese twist, this blend offers incredible umami flavors in addition to lots of fiber, protein and other nutrients. Go ahead, have seconds; heck, have thirds! (via Root and Revel)
4. Snickerdoodle Caramel Corn: Nothing beats a fresh, warm Snickerdoodle straight outta the oven… except maybe Snickerdoodle popcorn. In all of its cinnamon-y simplicity, this crunchy snack is highly addictive. You’ve been warned. (via Smells Like Home)
5. Harissa-Spiced Popcorn: There are plenty of ways to spice things up on the couch, and tossing your popcorn in Harissa is one of them. You may never go back to your old buttery popcorn ways after enjoying the warm flavors of the cumin, paprika and pepper flakes. (via For Those Who Savor)
6. Churro Popcorn Recipe: Sometimes in life, we’re forced to make hard decisions. But why decide between the two snacks you love the most? Just blend them into one glorious masterpiece. In this case, churros and popcorn become one, and we definitely approve. (via Little Inspiration)
7. Spicy Honey Sesame Caramel Popcorn: Life’s too short to eat boring food, so take your regular ol’ caramel corn and fancy it up with some sesame seeds, honey and Sriracha. You’ll become an instant addict to this brilliant combo of spicy, salty and sweet. (via Warm Vanilla Sugar)
8. Buffalo Wing Popcorn: Frank’s Hot Sauce — some people literally put that stuff on everything! Popcorn included. And who could blame them? This popcorn has all the flavor of Buffalo sauce, but it’s mixed with a buttery caramel to avoid becoming soggy and maintain that crunch. (via Whole Bite Blog)
9. Vegan Nacho-Style Popcorn: All the flavors of nachos and none of the grease? Sounds pretty good to us! These popped kernels are tossed in an easy-to-make oregano-infused oil and shaken in a blend of Mexican spices. Ah, and since you can’t have nachos without cheese, nutritional yeast is used for that magical dairy-free cheesiness. (via The Green Life)
10. Coconut Chocolate Popcorn: Coconut and chocolate are a killer combination, and we’ve seen plenty of it in desserts; now it’s in popcorn, and we’re doing our happy dance. If you’re the type to opt for a hot cup of movie-time coffee rather than soda, this popcorn medley is ALL for you, babe. (via Mitzy at Home)
11. Blueberries and Cream Popcorn: This unique treat is *super* hard to resist. The best part is that you only need three ingredients: blueberries, white chocolate and, of course, popcorn. So if you’re craving sweet summer-y flavors but don’t want to delay movie time too much, whip up a batch of this. (via Rachel Cooks)
12. Apple Spice Popcorn: Seasonal flavors are always worth getting excited about, and it’s finally time to prepare for ciders, pumpkin-spiced everything and apples galore. This apple-y popcorn is here just in time. (via Erica’s Sweet Tooth)
13. Minions Popcorn Snack Mix: It can be a challenge to convince little ones to eat a healthy snack. And when you don’t give in, you’re made to feel downright despicable. But there’s hope! This Minion-themed popcorn is loaded with peanuts and pretzels and is totally kid-approved. (via The Suburban Soapbox)
14. Dark Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn: The combination of chocolate and peppermint just screams “winter holidays.” When you plan for your Christmas movie marathons this year, jot this recipe down. It will pair wonderfully with hot cocoa, coffee with Bailey’s and your fave Christmas classics. (via Inquiring Chef)
15. Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn: Herbs and cheese go together like peas and carrots — and this is way better than peas and carrots. The earthiness from the fresh rosemary combined with the nuttiness of the browned butter is to die for. Put down a large bowl of this for your next Superbowl or awards show party. (via Bijoux and Bits)
16. Truffle Parmesan Popcorn: The next time you host a book club meeting or Gilmore Girls marathon, impress your pals by throwing a dash of sophistication over your popcorn in the form of truffle salt. It plays off the Parmesan amazingly, and you won’t be able to stop yourself from shoving handfuls of it into your mouth. (via A Sip of Bliss)
17. Lemon Meringue Gourmet Popcorn: Lemon meringue pie, though incredibly delicious, can be a royal pain in the butt to make if you don’t bake often. If the craving hits, opt for this easy and crunchy popcorn variation that uses lemon curd and meringue, and is finished with a crumbled cookie top. WHUT! (via Flavours and Frosting)
18. Parmesan and Sea Salt Popcorn: Those of you who like to keep flavors clean and enjoy foods in all of their simplicity — we hear you. Sometimes sugar and spice just isn’t what you’re looking for, and if you’re not feelin’ it, this lightly flavored popcorn is perfection in a bowl. (via Rachael Adele)
For more incredible snacking ideas, pop on over to Pinterest!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.