16 Prom Dresses That Are All About the Party in the Back
The end of the school year is fast approaching, and summer is so close you can practically taste it — three months of unadulterated freedom and a killer summer capsule wardrobe to soak it all up in — dreamy, right? And that also means that prom is on the horizon. You know, that blowout bash you’ve been counting down the days to for months, maybe even since freshman year. On the sentimental side, prom marks one of the last major events of your high school career, but let’s be real — it’s basically your own personal equivalent of Haute Couture fashion week, where striking gowns and Insta-worthy accessories reign supreme. Your sense of style is anything but average, so a standard prom dress is out of the question for your dance floor debut. Which is exactly why we’ve taken it upon ourselves to hunt down 16 DDG dresses that are guaranteed to earn you best-dressed status, just like that (prom queen? pfffffft). These stunners are all about the party in the back and will keep ’em guessing at every turn.
1. The 8th Sign Venus Diamond Back Maxi Dress ($172): Proof that less is definitely more, this minimalist gown feels fit for the red carpet. The strappy diamond back is beyond dreamy and lends a modern edge that would pair perfectly with a sleek statement cuff and block-heeled kicks.
2. The Jetset Diaries Resort Lace Dress ($269): Free-spirited femmes, eat your hearts out! Layered lace and a pale pink hue make this asymmetric number the picture of bohemian romance. Style it alongside a messy low chignon and rich berry lipstick for a seriously swoon-inducing look.
3. Free People Sacred Geometry Dress ($400): A prom dress that can actually be worn again? Don’t mind if we do! The effortless silhouette and one-of-a-kind detailing strike just the right balance of show-stopping style and everyday ease, and can easily be dressed up or down with a simple shoe switcharoo. After prom, team it with low-lying gladiators, bangles and I-woke-up-like-this tresses for backyard graduation parties and barbecues.
4. Morgan & Co. Embellished Sleeveless Gown ($169): Sprinkled with glistening glitter and sequins that create a celestial effect, this strappy sheath dress is straight-up out of this world. While the back is jaw-dropping on its own, the front is equally as captivating with keyhole detailing and plenty of sparkle.
5. TFNC Tallulah Nude Sequin Maxi Dress ($114): From the streamlined silhouette to shimmery rose gold sequins, everything about this ready-to-party gown screams glam. Hit the dance floor in style by pairing it with strappy metallic sandals and don’t-care hair for a bit of unexpected edge.
6. Xcite Empire Waist Floor-Length Dress With Illusion Back ($350): THAT back though. If you’re looking to make a statement, this glitzy gown is it. The sequin-and-rhinestone-studded back brings the wow-factor in a major way, and ensures all eyes stay on you as you strut your stuff through the room. Keep the rest simple with a sleek updo and natural makeup for a flawless look with timeless appeal.
7. John Zack Petite Prom Dress With Bow Back Detail ($65): Debutante-inspired ball gown not your thing? No problem. Show off your sweet side while still standing out in this bow-tastic A-line that was made for bustin’ a move. Dare to be different by styling it alongside caged peep-toe booties and a sleek choker necklace for a touch of tough-girl charm.
8. Dave and Johnny Sleeveless Floor Length Formal Gown With Illusion Bodice ($280): Black tie is what you do best, especially with this tonal dress on standby. Between the sleek skirt and intricate illusion bodice, rest assured you’ll be turning a few heads. Keep the rest of your look understated to play off the dress’s best features, with minimalist baubles and an elegant updo.
9. Sequin Hearts Marilyn Embellished One Shoulder Gown ($128): Fact: A little one-shoulder action will always do you right. Tap into the gown’s goddess vibes by styling tresses into loose curls, topped off with a gilded floral crown for an undeniably ethereal ensemble. Body shimmer is highly encouraged.
10. Dress the Population Valentina Lace Halter Gown ($288): Trade out those ditsy floral dresses when prom rolls around for a back-baring halter that brings the drama with every step. For a front-row-ready effect, layer a boyfriend blazer across the shoulders and style hair into a sleek low ponytail.
11. Xcite Sleeveless Prom Dress With Lace Embellished Sheer Neckline and Back ($358): Stop it right now. There’s no doubt about it — you’ll straight-up slay the second you step into the room in this embellished beauty. To really make that aqua hue pop, lacquer nails in a playful coral hue and stash all those prom essentials in a vibrant statement clutch.
12. Anthropologie Ginger Convertible Maxi Dress ($310): Multiple proms on the agenda? This is the dress you NEED in your lineup. Thanks to its convertible bodice, you can wear it 15 different ways (we’re partial to this twisted style with Grecian allure), meaning no wardrobe repeats for you. Oh, and it’s crazy comfortable too. What’s not to love?
13. Coya Collection Grecian-Style Intricate Beading Chiffon Gown ($349): Go all-out Disney princess on your prom getup with a sky-blue chiffon gown Cinderella would no doubt swoon over. Get those #details shots just right with chandelier earrings and a dainty stacking ring or two.
14. Sean Collection Embellished Mesh & Jersey Gown ($368): Get ready to pull out all the stops in this sophisticated embellished high-neck gown that’s fit for a prom queen. Take the classy factor to the next level with a metallic minaudière and a natural glow that’s guaranteed to impress.
15. Simply Dresses Long Sleeveless Jeweled-Bodice Chiffon Prom Dress ($249): Wallflowers need not apply; this blush chiffon gown is as attention-grabbing as it gets. Let that striking bodice shine by pulling hair back into a braided updo that will soften the ensemble’s look-at-me edge.
16. Glamour by Terani Long Sheer Back V-Neck Prom Dress ($289): Sassy slit? Check. Sensational detailing that packs serious pizzazz? Check. When tulle and organza just aren’t cutting it, make a beeline straight for this body-skimming jersey maxi, made with the modern muse in mind. Ditch the stilettos for architectural wedges that will give you the boost you want without the ache, so you can kill it out on the dance floor all night long.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.