5 Reasons You Should Take a Solo Adventure at Least Once
Spontaneity is not overrated. Solitude isn’t either — and it can be real hard to come by when you’re living with roommates or your S.O. and working in an office full of colleagues. That’s why, with the excitement of summer comin’ in hot, it’s high time you feed your wanderlust by traveling alone. So whether it’s a solo afternoon on the beach or a weeklong road trip (perk: You control the music), get out there and seize the day! Here are five reasons you should start planning some adventurous me time RN.
1. Your mind will clear. Even if it feels like you’re adulting really hard and life is breezy, there’s still a lot going on in there. Chances are, you’re at least dealing with nearly unavoidable daily stress from your commute. Whatever challenge is raising your heart rate, those racing thoughts are worth addressing. Once you pull up your roots and hit the road alone sans distractions, your brain will get a break from always being on. Thoughts will flow freely, and you’ll have space and time to fully address and process them. Especially if you’re pondering a big life decision, a summer solo trip is absolutely for you.
2. It’ll be easier to live in the moment. Digitally disconnecting for a while can help you reconnect to the present. Leave your computer at home and put your phone on airplane mode — at least for a few hours at a time. If you have to work from the road, just make sure to set times (digital boundaries!) so that you’re not checking your company chat or email non-stop. Without work, social media, or family distractions, you’ll be able to focus on an amazing view or the new experiences you’re having. Try to avoid making set plans before you start your adventure, and instead just see where the wind carries you.
3. You’ll push yourself to grow. One of the best parts of trailblazing solo is that you may find yourself feeling (gasp) a tad bit uncomfortable sometimes — and it’s really good for you! Being alone will force you to talk to people and take risks that you otherwise may not. Stepping outside of your comfort zones can also help you unlock creativity, and may inspire you in a way you wouldn’t have found on a vacation with your friends. So do yourself a favor, and get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
4. Freedom, freedom, freedom. Adventuring with your squad is always a party. Whether it’s a Vegas bach or festival camp out, there’s nothing like quality time with your girls. That being said, it’s pretty epic when you’re completely on your own schedule and don’t have to coordinate the divergent desires of a big group. When you’re alone, you never feel rushed and rarely have reason to stress. Hungry? Eat wherever and whatever you want. Tired? Take a nap. It’s so simple and yet *so* amazing.
5. There’s no time like the present. Things generally get more complicated as time goes by, and all that may seem hard to leave behind (even temporarily). But work, partners, friends, and your puppy will all be waiting for you when you get back. In fact, taking some time to explore solo will make returning to your loved ones that much sweeter. And after spending four hours or 40 days alone, you’ll have a renewed relationship with yourself and a fuller understanding of where you want your life to go next.
Where would you go on a solo adventure? Tell us @BritandCo!
(Photo via Brit + Co)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)