13 Sake Skincare Products for a Complexion That Glows
Sake is even more bomb than you thought! The fermented rice wine is the key to some of Japan’s most-treasured beauty secrets. Known for treating skincare problems like dullness, uneven texture, and hyperpigmentation, sake continues to wow in lines like Tatcha and SK-II. “Sake is known as an exfoliant, removing the dead cells from the top layer of your skin,” says NYC-based plastic surgeon Melissa Doft. “It also has Kojic acid in it due to the fermentation process, which decreases melanin in your skin, lightening and evening out your complexion. [Finally,] it has prolin and glutamic acid which are known to hydrate the skin.” Shop one of the 13 sake-derived beauty products below for a glow that’s beyond belief.
1. Boscia Sake Cleansing Water ($30): Clear away makeup and grime using this milky, no-rinse solution. The top-rated beauty bathes skin in the nutrients of unfiltered sake and exfoliates with glycolic acid.
2. 100% Pure Fermented Rice Water Cleanser ($32): This lightweight, organic, and vegan cleanser truly does it all. It brightens, exfoliates, and softens skin, sending enzymes, nutrients, and nature’s best skin-balancers straight into your mug.
3. Kensington Apothecary Saké Skin Detox Tonic ($20): Reverse dark circles and fatigue that can come from sugar overload (AKA glycation). Fight back using this detoxifying tonic, powered by our favorite beverage.
5. Skinfood Peach Sake Pore Serum ($16): Ulta-shoppers go gaga for this magnifying and pore-minimizing serum. Vitamins A and C, as well as silica powder, help to keep oil production on lock.
6. My Skin Mentor Dr. G Crystal Deep Peeling ($28): This powerful, caffeine-infused exfoliator won’t irritate skin. However, it will rid you of old, dead skin cells when you peel it off, leaving a moisturized complexion in its wake.
7. Neogen Dermalogy Rice Peel & Activator Sake ($33): Two-step your way to perfect skin using this sake-activated peel system by Neogen. The powerful combo is best used weekly to prevent over-exfoliation.
8. Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mask ($12 each): Fans of Tatcha’s cult-favorite facial mist need to try their brand new sheet mask. The super hydrating mask contains the patented Hadasei-3 complex and a lightweight rice germ oil for conditioning.
9. SK-II Signs Eye Mask ($150 for six): These pricey patches for your peepers keep selling out for a reason — because they brighten under-eyes like no other. Dark circles don’t stand a chance against the power of Pitera, the luxury skincare line’s patented sake-derived powerhouse.
10. Sabbatical Beauty Sake & Fermented Rice Sleeping Pack ($60): Applied as the last step in your nighttime beauty regimen, this sleeping pack works like magic overnight. You’ll wake up to a moisturized, brightened face by morning.
11. HydroPeptide Spot Correction Acne Eliminating Treatment ($38): When your skin acts up, spot-treat using this lactic acid, colloidal sulfur, and Canadian willowherb serum. Meanwhile, the rice ferment filtrate it contains protects your skin from unwanted elements thanks to powerful antioxidants.
12. Fresh Sake Bath ($82): Taken directly from the geisha’s traditional sake bath, this luxurious soak is hard to keep stocked. The softness of your skin will be totally worth it.
13. Billy Jealousy Sake Bomb Body Moisturizer ($36): You need to try this exfoliating and conditioning body lotion that stimulates the collagen production of your skin. It’s the (sake) bomb.
How will you try out this beauty secret we learned from geishas? Tell us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.