If we learned anything from Kendall Jenner’s epic response to her Golden Globes critics, it’s that nothing kills the mood of a photo op quite like problematic skin. Even with a regimen full of top-rated skincare products, we all still fall victim to an occasional blemish or two. Whether the culprit is crow’s feet, a breakout, dry patches, or dark circles, the best face-saving tips can often come from celebs. After all, with countless magazine covers, photo shoots, and the scrutiny of the not-always-so-adoring public to consider, there’s a reason that A-listers put so much effort into their complexions. Here are 16 solutions to skincare problems we learned from celebs.
problem: heavy-duty makeup
1. Katy Perry: When your beauty game is as strong as Perry’s — and we’re talking multiple makeup and outfit changes per performance — a thorough cleansing regimen is key for preventing breakouts. The pop star shared with Elle that for the past several years, Shu Uemura Cleansing Beauty Oil Premium ($39) has made all the difference in keeping her once-congested skin clear.
problem: adult acne
2. Kate Bosworth: Byrdie revealed that Epicuren Herbal Cleanser ($57) is what keeps Bosworth’s acne-prone skin looking porcelain. The actress thanks the gel-like cleanser she’s used since high school for her camera-ready glow.
problem: large pores
3. Kylie Jenner: Jenner treats her large pores — a hallmark of oily skin — using Kiehl’s Rare Earth Pore Refining Tonic ($21). The makeup maven includes the toner in her nightly regimen, according to Allure.
problem: clogged pores
4. Chrissy Teigen: Known for tweeting about her adventures with beauty products, Mrs. John Legend revealed to E! Online that Bioré Deep Cleansing Pore Strips ($8) are one of her go-to drugstore beauty buys for keeping her glow on point.
problem: uneven texture
5. Lucy Hale: Once plagued by hormonal acne, Hale told Into the Gloss that Lancer Skincare The Method: Polish ($75) helped restore her skin texture to supreme smoothness. This sensitive skin-saving exfoliant evens surface texture by buffing away lingering scars and impurities.
6. Stephanie Danler: The author of the bestselling novel, Sweetbitter, spends a lot of time in transit during book tours — which takes a toll on her complexion. To combat dullness caused by dehydration, Danler says she uses Blue Mercury m-61 Power Glow Peel ($28), a minute-long peel pad, for its instant brightening effect.
7. Christina Ricci: Ricci revealed to Into the Gloss that her primary skin concern is dryness, which is why she uses a facial spritz to lock-in moisture throughout the day. She opts for Tatcha Dewey Skin Face Mist ($48) — and BTW, Ricci isn’t the only celebrity fan of the line’s must-have mist.
problem: uv damage
8. Shakira: Shakira’s SPF hack is downright genius: choosing baby-safe products for their extra gentle formulas. Allure shared that she opts for Babyganics Mineral-Based Baby Sunscreen Spray SPF 50 ($10), which provides mineral-based UV-protection that keeps her skin baby-soft.
problem: dark circles
9. Selena Gomez: When you’re the world’s most-followed starlet, you obvi need to take care of your dark circles STAT. Gomez made a big reveal to Into the Gloss that when it comes to tired under-eye areas, First Aid Beauty’s Eye Duty Triple Remedy ($36) is her “can’t live without” eye cream.
10. Cameron Diaz: One of Hollywood’s own leading ladies suffers from — gasp! — rosacea. Brighten Your Mood shared Diaz’s at-home remedy for the problem, which involves mixing three drops of lavender, frankincense, and tea tree oil, with two tablespoons of raw honey. Thrive Market Organic, Raw, Unstrained Honey ($13) should totes do the trick.
11. Kim Kardashian: Allure spotted products like The Seaweed Bath Co. Purifying Detox Body Wash ($13), which helps her manage chronic psoriasis, on the selfie queen’s Snapchat. The line of skin-soothing products includes ocean-powered firming lotion, exfoliating body scrub, and cellulite-busting soap at drugstore prices.
problem: post-pregnancy skin
12. Kelly Rowland: Rowland explained to Into the Gloss that her post-pregnancy skin needed serious help. The solution? The celebrity-approved resurfacing powerhouse, Resurface by Shani Darden Retinol Reform ($95), which Rowland calls “magic in a bottle” for the way it rehabbed her post-baby skin with its softening, evening, and smoothing superpowers.
13. Jenna Dewan-Tatum: Dewan-Tatum dished to Cosmopolitan that she struggled with lingering melasma, a hormonally induced form of hyperpigmentation, for two years after giving birth. She raved about the Coolaser treatment at Epione Beverly Hills on her Instagram for being the treatment that finally worked.
14. Kerry Washington: The Scandal star uses LED red light therapy to help keep her eczema-prone skin looking luminous. Devices like LightStim for Wrinkles ($249) and LightStim for Acne ($169) work wonders for skin, stimulating collagen production, soothing inflammation, and even preventing pimples. As the actress shared with Elle: “[I] also use a red light for dealing with bacteria. I have one that I travel with.”
problem: loss of firmness
15. Sienna Miller: The actress drinks her beauty vitamins in liquid form thanks to this award-winning, collagen-enhancing line of skin-nourishing beverages from Skinade. Now that they ship to the United States, we’re not saying that drinking Skinade Collagen Drink ($137 for 30) will definitely land you a starring role.
16. Victoria Beckham: Posh not only defies the rules of nature with her age-belying complexion, but her skincare tips come from the best. Straight from celebrity dermatologist Dr. Lancer himself, People revealed that Beckham eats salmon every single day for better skin, thanks to his sage advice.
Want more celebrity skincare tips? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.