It might not be cold and snowy just yet, but before you know it, you’ll be sipping hot cocoa and daydreaming about the holidays. In fact, if you’re lucky enough to be planning a romantic winter wedding, you’re probably already knee deep in imaginative ideas for your special day. To help fire up your creative spirit even more, we’re sharing 13 Scandinavian-inspired wedding ideas. Pin your faves, and get ready to give your celebration unique international flair, no pricey plane tickets (or heavy parkas!) required.
1. Swedish-Inspired Invitation Suite: Think a traditional Christmas wedding is a bit too… um, traditional? Put the focus on St. Lucia’s Day instead, a Scandinavian festival of lights celebrated each year on December 13. A Swedish-inspired invitation suite, like this one by Peanut Press Creative, will introduce your theme in style. (via Brittany Dow Photography + Stacey Bishop Photography)
2. DIY Hair Crown: If you love the idea of wearing a flower crown but also want to keep things simple, this headpiece provides the perfect compromise. Easy to create in five fast steps, it’s an ideal choice for a Scandinavian-styled affair. (via Jaimee Morse)
3. Fishtail Braid: Channel your inner Elsa by rocking a fabulous fishtail braid. This loose, relaxed ‘do will look spectacular all night long, whether you’re gliding down the aisle or letting go on the dance floor. (via Meredith Carlson)
4. Comfy + Cozy Bridal Style: Don’t let winter winds leave you shivering while saying “I do.” Stay cozy in a patterned jacket and fingerless mittens. Boots, fuzzy earmuffs and long-sleeved dresses will help keep your bridesmaids toasty too. Worried about stray strands of hair whipping across your face? A braided updo is just right for holding long locks in place. (via Brittany Dow Photography + Stacey Bishop Photography)
5. Pinecone Boutonniere: From the tiny flower and pinecone to the fresh greenery and berries, this boutonniere delivers eye-catching twists at every turn. Attach a heart-patterned ribbon to complete the look, then head outside to snap pictures while surrounded by freshly fallen snow. (via Amorology)
6. Hanging Branch Ceremony Canopy: Give your decor instant Scandinavian flair by honing in on simple, natural pieces. A white tree branch with hanging votives can be used as an unexpected ceremony canopy or in place of classic chandeliers above the reception tables. (via Jeff Loves Jessica)
7. Nordic Smoked Salmon Appetizers: Who says winter weddings can’t still be colorful? Garnish smoked salmon crostini with edible flowers to create a pretty pre-dinner snack. (via The View from Great Island)
8. Tree Branch Centerpieces: Twig place settings, branch centerpieces and hanging greenery deliver rustic elegance at its finest. Keep the look understated by choosing a white, black and copper color scheme for your tablescape. (via Tandem Photo)
9. Maypole-Inspired Wreath: If neutral color schemes aren’t really your style, use bright blooms and fresh fruit to dress up reception tables. Maypole-inspired wreaths overhead can also provide a cheery, spring-like ambiance, even during the dead of winter. (via Hayley Young)
13. Fancy Favor Boxes: Scandinavian-inspired favor boxes will instantly brighten up a drab winter’s day. Make your own using patterned paper, cotton twine, wooden buttons and monogrammed tags. (via Hayley Young)
What’s your favorite Scandinavian wedding idea? Share your thoughts below.