This Survey Offers Serious Insight into the World of Online Dating
Today there are just about a million apps and websites to turn to if you’re interested in online dating. One site that has remained prominent for years is Match. With over 21 million users and 10 years of experience, we’re going to go ahead and call them a definite top dog of modern-day dating. So it makes total sense that every year they compile all that relationship knowledge into a survey focused entirely on “Singles in America.” And let us tell you, there is some real dating insight here. But this survey, while totally eye-opening, is also pretty extensive, and we know you’re a busy bee. So to save you some time we’ve gone through and picked out the most important takeaways. The land of online dating is a weird but wonderful place — consider this your road map.
1. Dudes want an independent lady. Match’s survey tells us 89% of singles want a partner with a sense of independence and 86% want someone with the same level of intelligence. They’re calling this “The Clooney Effect” because “More and more, men are seeking independent women and women are setting the tone in relationships. When even a lifelong bachelor like George Clooney settles down, you know things are changing.”
2. Everybody’s doing it. Online dating, that is. Here’s a stat that’s a little shocking: only 6% of singles met their most recent first date at bar or club (say whaat?). People who date online go on more dates and tend to be more open to committed relationships. They’re also more likely to be more educated and hold down a full-time job.
3. The Basic Dos and Don’ts: Here are three major dating dos from men to women: include photos, send sexy texts and use emoticons. As as for those don’ts? Don’t text more than once before a reply or during work hours. Also try to avoid using slang like LOL, OMG, etc.
4. Master the au natural selfie. 61% of singles think the most attractive selfies are natural and not enhanced. It will also help if your selfie includes a beautiful backdrop and maybe even a silly face. Basically, just try to be Katy Perry on vacation.
5. Facebook isn’t your diary. 73% of singles consider airing emotional drama in social media posts to be a turn-off. Both sexes find misspellings and bad grammar really unattractive. Another major turn-off? An excessive amount of selfies. Just ask someone else to take your picture every now and again, mmkay?
6. Use Emoji. Match puts it pretty bluntly: people who use emoji get more, uh… action than people who don’t. Thought that winky face meant nothing? Think again. The kissing, smiling/blushing and winking faces are the three most used icons. Why do we love them so much? Both men and women agree that they show more personality and make it easier to express feelings.
What’s your biggest tip for online dating newbies? Share your knowledge with us in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)