Nail the Perfect Smokey Eye for YOUR Eye Shape
First off, here is a chart that shows different eye shapes so you can figure out which one belongs to you. Many of us gals have a few of each of these features to create our individual eye shape. The key is to identify which one is the most dominant for your face. Once you have done so, you can follow these easy tricks. When you understand the basics, you can really apply these rules and steps to achieve many looks with varying color combinations. Now… let’s fire up those smokey eyes ;)
Close Set Eyes
The general rule to deem your eyes as close set is if the distance between each inner corner of your eyes could fit the width of one eye. Most people err on the side of close set, but for extreme versions here are some key things to remember when applying a smokey eye.
– Next, apply a medium shade on the center of your lid blending outward to the corners of each eyes. From the same palette, we used a buff matte shade called Naked for this step.
– Now to really draw the attention to the outer edges of your eyes, (giving the illusion of a wider set eye,) place a deeper more dramatic shade on the outer corners of your eyes. On Nikki, we used a mocha shimmer called Hustle from the Naked palette.
– For liner on close set eyes, you will want to avoid starting it too close to inside corners. Instead, begin your liner on the top a little more than half way in, then blend out and slightly up to enhance the outsides of your eyes.
– Finish off with some mascara to top off this look.
Having deep set eyes means your eyes have a deeper crease. This also means that they’re a fab canvas for creating many different looks from playing up the crease to disguising it for a more subtle eye.
Deep Set Eyes
– Next, take a medium shadow to blend into the outer corner, slightly underneath and only a little bit into the crease. You want to make sure not to over-enhance the crease since it is already so prominent. I used the brown matte Buck from the Naked palette to achieve this.
– On the outer corners of both, on top and underneath your eyes, use a dark shadow. I used dark metallic Creep in the same palette for a smoldering, dramatic effect. Great for a night out!
– Line with a black pencil and use a liner brush to slightly smudge the liner into the black shadow for extra drama.
– Apply a thickening mascara to complete.
Almond eyes are exactly how they sound. They are probably the most sought-after shape and the one all of these tips and tricks are trying to turn other shapes into. That being said, we will want to give eyes with this shape more height to work with their naturally elongated shapes.
– Start with a highlighting base, but be sure to avoid your brow bone. For Ashley, we used light, shimmery Nylon by MAC and applied it right to the center of her lids and into the inside corners of her eyes.
– Now, take a medium shadow and sweep it across your lid slightly into the crease and a little above. On Ashley, we used brown matte Buck from the Naked palette.
– Now to create the height, add a darker shadow along the base of the lash line and in the center of the lid. Bring it slightly up being sure not to completely cover the last shade. We used deep purple Blackberry by MAC on Ashley.
– Line along the lash line with a black pencil.
– Apply a thickening mascara to curled lashes to complete this look.
Downturned eyes can be intimidating to work with, but rest assured it is not impossible. In fact, look how amazing Alexis looks rocking her smudgy shadow! For downturned eyes, you will want to enhance the outer corners of your eyes, drawing attention and creating balance.
– First, apply a light base to the entire lid as well as inner corners and brow bone. We used the highlight color from the Brows A-Go-Go Kit by Benefit.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.