While there are always amazingly cheap flights and downright crazy ones (hello, $99 flight to Iceland!), spring break is the perfect time to pack your suitcase and make use of whatever miles you’ve got. This year, we checked out the New York Times’ ultimate list of 2016 destinations and we’re swooning over these 10 perfect spring break vacays. So pack either sunscreen or skis, because we’ve got places all over the map.
1. Viñales, Cuba: For any adventurer, this is a dream come true. Since US citizens are finally allowed to visit our intriguing neighbor to the south, tourism to Cuba is going to be booming. Get there first and go straight to Viñales to see where those coveted cigars are made. Stay in one of the bed and breakfasts in the village, and experience Cuban cuisine and life.
2. Bordeaux, France: While Paris in spring usually gets all the attention, Bordeaux has earned a spot on this list for very good reason — wine, anyone? In addition to its namesake, it has also done some big revamping over the last decade and earned a spot on the UNESCO World Heritage list for some gorgeous renovations.
3. Valletta, Malta: South of Italy, in the brilliantly blue waters of the Mediterranean, sit the islands of Malta. With centuries-old buildings worthy of a movie set, it’s no wonder Angelina and Brad shot their last film, By the Sea here. Since the capital of Valletta is turning 450 this year, it’s the perfect excuse to visit.
4. Todos Santos, Mexico: Off the beaten Cabo track is the surf town of Todos Santos. It’s definitely a place to let your hair down and reconnect with nature, so if you’re looking for tranquility, this is your spot. With a mindful living community on the way and a coastline that’s exactly what you fantasize about at 9am on Monday mornings, this is more like a rejuvenating retreat than a break.
5. Cesme, Turkey: Does visiting vineyards ever get old? We didn’t think so. Especially the ones in Cesme where the wine flows, the olives grow and the festivities never end. For those of us who like to eat our way through a vacation — and blow up your Instagram feed with photos of said eating endeavors — taking a trip to Turkey seems like the perfect fit.
6. San Sebastián, Spain: For the art enthusiasts, this Spanish town is garnering praise as a 2016 European Capital of Culture. Museums abound and deliver much more of an inspiring experience than our typical Pinterest pages. When the sightseeing is done, fall back on San Sebastián’s claim to fame: food. It is Spain, after all.
7. Park City, Utah: Not really a beach kind of girl? No worries. Grab your snowboard and gear up for the newly merged Park City Mountain Resort and Canyon Resorts. Renamed to simply Park City, the 7,300-acre mountain playground is something to be reckoned with. Sometimes a bit of spring skiing is just what the doctor ordered.
8. Coral Bay, St. John (US Virgin Islands): For a vacation a little closer to home, a trip to the Virgin Islands still feels like a getaway with the sounds of steel drums and the tastes of tropical drinks. Coral Bay has that kick-back-and-relax vibe, with less crowded beaches and lots of opportunity to relax in its famed turquoise water. This is a must for 2016, since developers are planning to turn the quaint town into an outlet mall — major head shake there.
9. East Coast of Sri Lanka: If time allows, taking a journey to this island will leave you with a broader global perspective. It’s an adventure waiting to be had with Hindu temple visits, safaris and snorkeling.
10. St. Louis, Missouri: We scratched our heads at this one at first too, but hear us out. If you’re a music lover who wants to stay stateside for spring break, this is the spot for you. On April 2, the National Blues Museum opens in St. Louis, and it’s not something you want to miss. As an integral part of American music’s history, it’s easily going to solidify itself as a destination city with not only the museum, but also the city-wide renovations as well.
Do you have any creative spring break destination favorites? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)