Nothing beats a summer filled with beach trips, BBQs, and baseball games. The only buzzkill this time of year? Frizz. All that humidity has the power to make our manes go poof in the blink of an eye. The good news is, there are lots of products out there that tackle this very annoying summer hair challenge . Whether you prefer to air dry your hair or style it with a heat tool, here are the nine products you need (according to celeb hairstylists) to get your hair in shape for summer and keep seasonal frizz at bay, no matter your hair type.
1. Redken Frizz Dismiss Fly-Away Fix Finishing Sheets ($25): These smoothing sheets with silicone and lavender oil deserve a spot in your beach bag or weekend travel totes. “Gently use one to remove frizz on the go and add shine,” suggests celebrity hairstylist Laurie Heaps , who works with Danielle Fishel and Rowan Blanchard. “Just smooth it over areas that need it. They work great for static and flyaways too.”
2. The Hollywood Silk Solutions Silk Pillowcase ($45): “One of the biggest causes of frizz and bedhead is sleeping on cotton pillowcases,” says celebrity hairstylist Justine Marjan , whose clients include Kourtney, Khloe, and Kim Kardashian; Ashley Graham; and Olivia Culpo. That’s because cotton pulls moisture from your hair and causes friction on your strands while you sleep. “Sleeping on silk leaves moisture in the hair, allowing you to wake up with shiny, frizz-free hair,” says Marjan.
3. Pai-Shau Biphasic Infusion ($45): Celebrity hairstylist Marshall Lin , who has worked with Kate Bosworth and Olivia Palermo, is a fan of this oil-free, tea-infused product that you apply on wet hair after showering and then again after styling to tame unruly hair. All you have to do is shake the bottle and apply one to three pumps throughout your hair. And listen up, fine-haired ladies: “You can apply and reapply as often as you want because there’s no oil,” says Lin. “It will never weigh your hair down or make it look greasy.”
4. Oribe Impermeable Anti-Humidity Spray ($42): Is hairspray your go-to styling product? This one has major frizz-fighting capabilities. “It extends your style as well as fights humidity and unwanted volume,” says Eliut Rivera, a celebrity hairstylist who has worked with Jennifer Lopez and Penelope Cruz and owns Eliut Salon in New York City. “After blow-drying your hair, apply it all over, wait about three minutes, then apply again.”
5. BioSilk Silk Therapy with Organic Coconut Oil ($27): Formulated with coconut oil, this lightweight humidity-fighting serum can be used on all hair textures from 2A (loose waves) to 4C (tightly coiled) to smooth hair, explains Heaps. “It also prevents split ends, which helps make hair even shinier,” she says. Apply a small amount from your mid-lengths to ends on damp or dry strands.
6. TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Mask ($5): “I love this treatment mask for weekly use to add shine, moisture, and a silky finish to the hair,” says Marjan. “It also is great for color-treated hair and hair that needs detangling.” Once a week after shampooing, apply a generous blob from midway down your locks to your ends, then rinse out after three to five minutes.
7. Bumble and bumble Surf Spray ($27): If your hair is on the thicker side, then you need to use a product with a more substantial texture to combat the elements, says Lin. He recommends this salt salt spray for thicker hair. “After styling, you just need to spritz a few times and be on your way,” says Lin.
8. White Sands Liquid Texture Firm Thermal Styling Spray ($20): “When we change our hair texture in the warmer months by curling or straightening, it is important to use a thermal spray that not only gives heat protection but also saves your style from frizzing up in humidity,” says Heaps. “This product creates a barrier against humidity to preserve the life of your style throughout the day.” Spray onto damp hair generously before reaching for any heat tools.
9. GHD Gold Professional Performance 2″ Styler ($199): The large plates make smoothing thicker, longer hair easier. “I love this flat iron because it dramatically smooths the hair with just one pass without causing any damage to the hair,” says Marjan. “The single heat setting [365 degrees] is at the ideal temperature for heat styling, leaving the hair shiny and healthy looking.”
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Feature Image via BERTRAND GUAY/AFP/Getty)
What’s your go-to summer frizz-fighting trick? Tweet us @BritandCo !