40 Ways to Color Block Your Wardrobe
We’ve taught you how to color block just about everything, so now it’s time to start thinking about doing the same to your wardrobe. Color blocking is a great compromise for those who are typically pattern-shy, and its sharp structure allows for pieces to easily transition from day to night. From in-your-face color combos to classy linear shapes, amp up your look with these 40 color block styles.
1. N Jonah Color Block Mini ($75): These wide horizontal stripes and just about three quarter-length sleeves make this a dress appropriate for both the office and the cocktail lounge. Check out the classy pocket detail.
2. Two Tone Drape Blouse ($58): The chartreuse back panel peaks just over the shoulders giving this blouse a military-chic feel. We love that the cutout hits just below the bra line – holler!
3. Ted Baker Color Block Shirt ($152): The neon collar gives this sheer top a modern pop. The layered bib and bold linear seaming are amazing details.
4. Who’s That Girl Oxford ($168): Who needs a yearbook when you can read your BFF’s names on these adorable pastel saddle shoes? Don’t leave for your next sock hop without these.
5. Cecile Zebra Color Block Tee ($110): We love the playful contrast of wavy zebra stripes and structured color squares. The white cap sleeves dress up this jersey tee just enough.
6. Color Block Hi-Lo Dress ($29): This dress is full of surprises. A racerback, a high-low hem, and a scoop neckline ensures that your look will be fierce from every angle.
7. Brass Circle Colorblock Necklace ($30): These teeny-tiny pendants are made from raw brass. Hand-painted in gorgeous colors like dove grey or seafoam green, we might just buy one in every available color.
8. Clearly Cool iPad Case ($38): Tote your technology around in style with these beyond cool transparent vinyl pouches, made to fit your iPad and iPhone. We’re sure we’re not the only ones who’ll be using this as our go-to summer clutch, right?
9. Carousel Ride Colorblock Blouse ($48): Lighten up your wardrobe with this playful chiffon blouse. The cotton candy colors of mint, canary, lavender and bubble gum give this top tasteful contrast.
10. Jarlo Striped Maxi Dress ($92): A completely contemporary take on the traditional striped maxi. We love how the scalloped seaming creates a flattering A-line silhouette, making it an easy wear for many body types.
11. Herschel Supply Co. x Madewell Color Block Backpack ($55): We’re stoked that backpacks have transitioned from 6th grade necessity to totally acceptable adult accessory (we’re still waiting on Trapper Keepers to do the same). But if you still need to dip your toes in the water before jumping head first into this trend, this simple design and understated color profile are perfect for you.
12. Ice Block Moto Jacket ($88): This chick traded her motorcycle in for a Vespa a long time ago and has never looked back. Wear this jacket unzipped to showcase the super chic nude lapel.
13. Sheriff&Cherry Colorblock Sunglasses ($145): These preppy sunnies are fit for days lounging by the polo field sidelines or for Hamptons getaways. I spy an anchor detail hiding at the temples!
14. Crop Colourblock Tee ($56): We love the sweetheart neckline color blocked onto this flowy cropped tee. Layer it over a form-fitting tank dress or pair with a high-waisted skirt for a fun date night look.
15. Geo Colorblock Bag ($38): Hit the town in style with this bold, trendy clutch made from vegan leather. A detachable crossbody strap is a nifty add-on for when you need to throw your hands up in the air like ya just don’t care.
16. Electric Pocket Radio Shirt Dress ($58): It was love at first sight with this amazingly hot shirt dress (yeah, we just said that). This neon-safari look is inspiring us to fill our closets with more olive and hot pink pieces.
17. Minimarket Singha Clear Heel Sandal ($150): As if the clear ombre heel wasn’t enough to make you head over, well, heels about this sandal! The combo of turquoise suede with shiny patent leather and natural leather makes a near perfect trio.
18. Bright Side Knit ($68): These yellow color block sleeves on this oversized fisherman’s sweater takes this top from the wharf to the runway. The slouchy shoulder hem makes this chunky cable knit look almost too cozy.
19. Beach Riot Colorblock One-Piece ($133): Do people still groan when they hear “one-piece swimsuit”? Well this strapless diddy will definitely change their tunes. The neon geometric color blocks will accentuate your figure in all the right places.
20. Multicolor Floppy Summer Hat ($38): Cast away the threat of a bright red nose with this awesome oversized floppy hat. A must-have accessory for trips to the beach or anywhere the sun is shining bright.
21. Kate Spade New York Colorblock Neon Bracelet ($58): Gold pyramid studs separate neon enamel color blocks in this vibrant bangle. Will no doubt pair perfectly with any of these decked out DIY bracelets!
22. Colour Block Shell ($60): This top’s simple pattern makes it a great option for color blocking beginners. We love how the curved lines make the hot pink panel’s shape feel fluid instead of chunky.
23. Soho Color Block Dress ($79): The little black dress officially has a rival. The jaw-dropping detail on this stunning cocktail dress has to be the curved black color block that wraps the bodice into a sexy racerback.
24. Skinny High Waist Pants ($55): From the front, these skinny jeans give the illusion of an edgy tuxedo pant. Dress it up with a dark chiffon blouse or flaunt the zipper detail on each hip with a hot crop top.
25. MASCOT Brogues ($55): These aren’t just any old oxfords. Layers of shiny nude and periwinkle will dress up any outfit from a frilly sundress to metallic leggings.
26. Candy Cord Necklace ($18): We love the uneven pattern of this color block tube necklace. It might be the perfect accessory to punch up a plain white t-shirt this summer.
27. Sea Pauline Colorblock Dress ($180): The leather tuxedo collar on this dress is absolutely to die for. Emerald panels give the perfect amount of flair to this elegant get up. Oh and it’s made out of tweed.
28. Colorblock Carryall ($134): These beautiful totes are handmade in the USA with wool and vegetable dyed leather. The zig zag stitching along each panel is perfectly understated.
29. Sugar High Romper ($52): Literally take a plunge with this risky romper. The scoop neck is no match for the plunging back, while the pleated shorts flow from the waist like a full, flirty skirt.
30. SONANCE Ankle Strap Platform ($164): The classic nude heel is given a disco twist. Try marching these puppies into the office – can you imagine your co-workers’ delight when that bright pop of lime green suede peaks from underneath your gray pant suit?
31. Block Party Bikini ($40): The beauty of this sunset colored bikini top bustier is that it can be paired with so many complementary bottoms. Beach babes – rock it with a black strappy bottom and party girls – toss it on with a high-waisted circle skirt.
32. Leather Fanny Pack ($42): Was the fanny pack ever really considered cool? We don’t care! It’s convenient, stylish and totally radical.
33. Love Shift Dress ($48): Nevermind the simple shape, it takes some cool confidence to pull of this tropical colored shift dress. Try it with a pair of worn-in Docs and a turban headband to give it a bit of street style edge.
34. Pattern Play Shorts ($48): These wonderfully wacky shorts make a great summer statement. We love how these sporty bottoms look with a pair of wedge sneakers.
36. Olive & Oak Colorblock Pleated Dress ($69): This simple micro-pleated dress is just waiting to be accessorized. Jazz it up with a metallic skinny belt and a Peter Pan collar necklace.
37. Blazer In Contrast ($94): This neutral colored blazer boasts super modern details like a back zipper seam and a sleek white lapel. A great way to dress up a basic button down or a pair of distressed boyfriend jeans.
38. Goa Colorblock Silicone Strap Watch ($95): Keep the time poolside with this waterproof color block watch. A great example of how just a small strip of color can breathe life into a basic.
39. Two-Tone Fitted Mini Dress ($40): This fitted piece comes in almost every color under the sun. Our favorite color combos are ones that completely contrast, like bright orange with fuschia and yellow with tangerine.
40. Tela Colorblock Cropped Top ($29): We love the relaxed silhouette of this athletic tank. The color block panels are perfectly placed to give you just the right amount of shape.
Are you on board the color block craze? Tell us how you wear it in the comments below!